addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Austin Area Great Dane Meetup Group Message Board › How many is too many?

How many is too many?

Michele/Gerald F.
user 89273462
Burnet, TX
Post #: 1
I am a new Dane lover. Dudley came to us at 3 months old. My husband said hey I naught a puppy, go get him....I had noooooo info about him. When I got to the meet up place, the lady pulled out a 3month old full grown dog-not really I had just never seen a Dane up close. On the way home I was thinking,"we have no business with this dog!" But a year and a half later I'm in love. So my question is how many Danes are too many? I want another but Dudley has a brother, Carter, who is a two year old black lab. They have been together since lil guys and I am worried if I get a second Dane that there will be issues. Any thoughts?
Jessica
user 12597279
New Braunfels, TX
Post #: 9
Won't know till you try~
Nikki
Nikki140
Austin, TX
Post #: 11
I have five danes and I think one more would be too many. I got lucky and had no troubles adding to my pack. I think alot depends on how well socialized your dogs are and whether or not you bring in a puppy or an older dog. And if the dogs are altered or not. If Dudley and Carter do well around other dogs and the new dog does well around other dogs, there should be no problems.
Michele/Gerald F.
user 89273462
Burnet, TX
Post #: 2
Wow!!! Five!!!! That's awesome. They go out often even if its just to the local park. Our area doesn't have a dog park so we took them their first time to the round rock dog depot. They did great. My husband and I were more nervous then the dogs lol. There was a fight between two other dogs while we were there and neither of our dogs wanted anything to do with it, which is great. I still have so much to learn.
kay
Duke...
Rosenberg, TX
Post #: 357
I have a total of 3 dogs(a dane, elderly pit bull, and a young basset hound) and 2 cats.....for us, we are maxed out. I started feeling this way several months after we got the 3rd dog. (or whole lives we only had 2) Each animal has their issues....vet bills are a big consideration. Thank goodness i have a vet that works out payment plans. Food, heartworm and fleas meds are a small cost but, not that big of an issue. Especially since i work for a "premium" brand dog food company. i do get some perks. But, with 2 jobs and working 7 days a week...cleaning time is difficult. If you have fur allergies, dont come to my house. The new dog(bassett) has started to teach the other dogs bad habits that they never have done...the latest is poop eating....my dogs never did this for years... so that is a consideration as well...But i do love all of them and everyone is healthy and vetted...but, this it for us....
Gary H.
user 33091112
Austin, TX
Post #: 37
My max on Danes as been two but that is only because of expense. I've never had any issue with adding to my pack. Those initial meetings are a great way to determine if the dogs are compatible. This is not to say the household will be issue free but usually it is nothing that cannot be dealt with with positive training. I've only had one alpha issue between two males and I settled that by recognizing my older as alpha by letting him do/get everything first. Usually finances dictate when you have enough.