align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Austin Area Great Dane Meetup Group Message Board › Looking for our first great dane

Looking for our first great dane

Nicole W.
Nicolewilliams6
Austin, TX
Post #: 2
We are looking for a first great dane. I'm filling out an application with PAWS of Austin today but was wondering if there were any other resources for rescuing a dane. I'm not to picky but hoping for a fawn.

I've done lots of research but any advice is much appreciated on loving and caring for this breed. I have 3 energetic boys and my husband and I are both first time dog owners. What do I need to know? Go!

Thanks for your help. This is a great site.
Jessica
user 12597279
New Braunfels, TX
Post #: 11
Great Danes are an amazing breed~ I have two myself. Just make sure you are prepared for a giant, drooling, expensive addition to the household. Ours are both glorified couch potatoes. We go through about $120-200 worth of dog food a month. Flea/heartworm and other medications are more expensive due to their size. Socialization and training is very important. PS: those tails are weapons. Haha. I do not have kids, but both my Danes love kids~ I don't think there is one square inch in our house that hasn't been drooled on...including me. Lol. Outside of PAWS, I'm unsure of where to find Dane rescues in Austin. I live in New Braunfels myself. I wish you the best of luck.
Paul Del P.
user 9507410
Austin, TX
Post #: 19
I'd definitely recommend taking the time to work with PAWS because they can provide a lot of help to match your family to the right dog.

Great Danes tend to be very intelligent, affectionate, communicative, eager to please and socially adaptable, but each of these traits can vary a lot from dog to dog. Therefore I think it's important to get past physical appearance and try to observe as much of the personality as you can each time you meet your candidate.

As for the costs of owning a Great Dane, I'd say that a lot hinges on your choice of veterinarian. There are still a few "old style" veterinarians in Austin whose waiting rooms aren't built to impress, yet have outstanding diagnostic skills, take exceptional care of the animals, and charge remarkably lower fees. You can email me a pgdelpiero [at] gmail [dot] com if you'd like one or two examples; the folks from PAWS can likely also help.
Gary H.
user 33091112
Austin, TX
Post #: 36
Oh Nicole, you are a BRAVE woman to ask that question on here - lol. As you will find living with your Dane, Dane owners are passionate about the breed. We all really need to be checked out by a good psychiatrist. I've had 8 Great Danes and as others have said and will continue to say, they are AMAZING animals. They will give you more love than you ever thought possible. PAWS is the "official" Austin Dane rescue but not the only local rescue. San Antonio Great Dane Rescue does adoptions to Austin as does Big Hearts/Big Paws. Plan on about 50 or so pounds of dog food a month per Dane and I say "per Dane" because in about a year you will be wanting a second Dane <g> - we ALL did it. Fawn was my first color at 39"/190#. I would encourage you to come to the meetup this weekend, see the Danes, interact with the Danes, talk to people. You may have to grab us or interject yourself into our conversations but don't be afraid to do it as we all LOVE to talk about our dogs.

A fantastic web site to learn about the breed is The Great Dane Lady dot www.greatdanelady.com/index.html . She has been handling the breed for 30+ years and really knows the ins and outs of Danes. TONS of great reading material. You can also buy a book on Amazon about the breed. One thing which is hard to prepare for is the Dane eyes, they beckon you to love them. People will constantly ask you what is it, does it come with a saddle, how big a yard to you have, where does it sleep, how much does it eat -- each one thinking they are the first to ask and not the 10,000th. You get A LOT of attention when you go out with them. They are GREAT with kids as long you everyone is trained, that's the pup AND the people. They will guard you and your kids with their life but never attack unless in provoked defense. Anyone sitting down is merely a new place to back up and sit and yes they do sit in your lap with their front paws on the ground (it's really quite funny) and they all lean on you.

There is my two cents worth. I hope to see you at the Meetup. I will be there with my big blk Dane Titan.
Nicole W.
Nicolewilliams6
Austin, TX
Post #: 3
Thanks so much for all the wonderful info. I'll be sure to check out all the mention resources. I have been to one meet up with the danes and was so awestruck by the enthusiasm and love you all have for your beautiful dogs. I've been trying to get my family out to one but scheduling has been an issue.
I've dreamed about having a GD since college but now that I'm a first time homeowner I think I'm ready. I just have to convince my husband. He knows nothing about the breed and can only see their size and think of the repercussions of it. But I know how awesome they are and can't wait to convince him. :) I have found several danes on Craigslist being rehomed. I'm just hesitant to go in that direction. PAWS and other rescues alike really take time to match up the right dog with the right home and that's really what I'm looking for. I have children, 2 cats and would love to travel with my dane so I'm really looking for someone special. I hope to find him/her soon. Any advice on male vs. female?
Jessica
user 12597279
New Braunfels, TX
Post #: 16
I'm partial to male dogs in general. I do have one of each though. This is going to sound silly, but I find it easier to be dominate in our pack with my male dogs. Our female gives me trouble sometimes. Though she's getting much better. Only had her a couple months.
Gary H.
user 33091112
Austin, TX
Post #: 38
I second Jessica's comment about males vs females. I've had 7 males and one female. My female being the only GD who has bit me. The males seem SO much more affectionate. They are just big, goofy BABIES who want nothing more than to be attached to your hip. I do know where there is a new litter of brindle pups. They are half siblings to Nikki's Dolf and full siblings to the Tetter's Arthur. If you like, I can give you the contact information for the breeder. They usually run around the $500.00 mark without papers. Just send me an email if you are interested.
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi Nicole and welcome to the world of danes. I agree with all the comments and would like to introduce myself to you. I have been involved with rescueing great danes for 5 years now. I currently own 3 including my current blind and deaf 6 month old (I've had him since 7 weeks) and have had danes for over 12 years so I can give you lots of advise and info. I take my rescue very seriously and like to place the right dane with the right forever home. I would definately agree with the comment about going and socializing yourself and your family with the breed and no better place than a great dane club that meets up for fun. If you would like to register yourself with me please send me an email at handhhealing@gmail.com and I would love to get to know you and your family situation. again welcome to the wonderful world of danes, you will LOVE the breed. Teri