The Austin Area Great Dane Meetup Group Message Board › osteosarcoma success?

osteosarcoma success?

Rachel
rachelalobar
Austin, TX
Post #: 55
Our sweet boy was diagnosed with osteosarcoma a couple weeks ago. We amputated his rear leg as that seemed to be the best option (his hips are normal and in 1 day he went from a slight limp to swelling and not using the leg at all). He is 2 weeks out from surgery and really doing great. He's off medications and we took him on his first short walk today. He's happy, he can get up and walk very well and even run in the backyard.
We have decided not to pursue chemotherapy. The cost and quality of life during treatment does not seem worth it since it likely won't cure the cancer. We would like to keep him happy and feeling good as long as possible. His x-rays show no obvious metastasis, but my understanding is that 90% of dogs have microscopic metastasis one symptoms show up.

So...my question is if anyone who has a dog with this unfortunate diagnosis has had any luck with immune modulation supplements (like K9 Immunity plus) and diet high in protein, low in carbs (like a grain free food). I may be grabbing at straws here, but the research on the mushroom based polysaccharides seem promising for helping the immune system recognize and fight the cancer.

Thanks!