add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo
user 82865202
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
Hello! I had a question about my puppies food. His stools seems to never firm up and I am thinking about switching his food. We are currently on Blue Buffalo large breed puppy. Anyone feed their pup Canidae? Or have any advice on a better food choice that has worked for their Dane? I was feeding Innova to Bruiser before their recall! So that is when we switched to blue buffalo. By the way, Bruiser is 6 months old if that helps!

A former member
Post #: 5
We had issues when our pup was young too. I am not sure if it was grains or not. but I switched to Taste of the Wild and have had no issues since then. It is a really great dog food and too expensive. They also make it in several flavors (all grain free) and he can eat them all with no problems. Tomlinsons and Healthy Pet carry it and it is available on Amazon with free shipping. Hope that helps.
user 12597279
New Braunfels, TX
Post #: 17
I've been feeding Giant Breed Royal Canin for the last 3 years to my Danes and mastiff. They do wonderfully with it. Healthy coats and skin. And healthy weights.
A former member
Post #: 93
You will want to avoid anything that has corn, wheat or soy in it. For puppies the protein should be below 25% and never over feed -- keep them lean to avoid growth problems like knuckling, pano & hod.
Costco has 2 good dry foods - their Kirkland brand with rice or the grain free Natures Domain. Even better are the step up foods like Taste if the Wild & Wellness Core. And top tier would be Earthborn Holistic, Acana, & Canidae which you mentioned. Ziwi Peak is amazing but cost prohibitive for a Dane.
Good sites to check your food choice are &
Try not to get too hung up on stool firmness - yes it is important but dog food companies know how obsessed we get with it and put lots of useless fillers into the food which do nothing but firm stool (and increase the size of the output). A good food doesn't have unnecessary fillers yet still produces firm smaller stool.
Both of my Danes have issues - one sensitive stomach eats Taste of the Wild Sierra Mountain (lamb), one allergy problem Dane is moving to California Natural grain free (venison or kangaroo).
The people at Tomlinson's are knowledgeable & can help you make a good decision.
user 82865202
Austin, TX
Post #: 2
Thank you so much! It's really helps a lot. And perhaps you are right about the amount he uses the bathroom. His stool is smaller, just not firm. I will definitely try to it get hung up on that. Just a pain to scoop up lol =)
Rex and Lisa B.
user 3328033
Group Organizer
Buda, TX
Post #: 85
We use the Nature's Domain from Costco and found it to be very good nutritionally and cost-wise. It's $31.99 for a 35 lb bag and two bags last us a month for both Lucy and Sadie. We were having a problem with Lucy and soft stools, but this food has really firmed them up. It has no corn, wheat, soy or meat by-products, has pro-biotics and fruits and veggies in it. There's a salmon flavor which costs a couple of dollars more, and the turkey and sweet potato which we get. You do have to be a member of Costco, though.
Michael H.
user 13361634
Austin, TX
Post #: 16
We also use Nature's Domain at Costco (Salmon and Sweet Potato specifically). Check out their 4 (of 5) star rating on