addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
Lauren
LaurenHofer
Austin, TX
Post #: 9
We had both back legs done on our lab mix by Dr Kerpsack. We opted for TPLO based on his age & Activity level. I think we were expecting more out of him faster than it happened. Def get the weeping checked out. As for full weight, I think maybe a month? Def keep her confined to 1 area w/her cone on as long as those stitches are in. I, of course, overreacted about any changes in his walking, but Kerpsack is really understanding and I think he understands where the owners are coming from. (I was like, we paid all this money and he's still limping!! or, "i think i heard a pop!") In fact, he still has trouble with our stairs every now and then (we did one leg 10/31/12, and the other the 1st weekend of april '13). If we work him to hard (running, etc) he is a little slow getting off the ground and/or up the stairs. Basically, what i'm saying is that It takes longer than we owners expect!! Also, after a 4-6 month recovery period it will take a while for the cardio recovery to come back, too. Hang in there!! (it's been a year and i'm STILL worried about his legs. I think i always will be!!)
Alison
user 8662353
Austin, TX
Post #: 52
Thanks Lauren! I guess we all want immediate results :) The weeping has stopped but there is still fluid build up. The xrays came back not showing any fractures or pin movement so that is good news. She still seems to have gone backwards a bit between week 1 and 2 on progress but perhaps my imagination. She is a bit depressed with not having freedom to roam but trying to keep her occupied and giving extra attention. This surgery is a doozie!