align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo
Sally B.
user 11787260
Austin, TX
Post #: 11
Hi All-

We have recently started having more frequent incontinence issues with our 4 year old Dane. We had her checked for a UTI at the Vet and was negative. We are now faced with: do we put her on Proin or natural incontinence med or we have heard estrogen can work sometimes? Anyone have any experience? We have had two nights this week where we have had to do laundry, so it is becoming an issue at our house.

Thank you for your input!

Sally Bradley and Gita
beth
beth_w
Houston, TX
Post #: 197
I used Proin successfully for many years on a female Dane. It worked very well.

Beth
A former member
Post #: 99
I've heard of people having good luck with "Leaks no more" natural product for a while before having to move to estrogen. 2 Dane owners I know only have to give a small amount of estrogen once a week & it controls the issue.
Emma becomes incontinent anytime we use steroid products - it reverses when we stop but she is only 2 years old. Does not bode well for the future so we are paying attention to current treatments.
beth
beth_w
Houston, TX
Post #: 198
Steroid induced incontinence is not related to the incontinence that is treated with estrogen or Proin. Steroids can cause increased thirst and urination in all dogs. They frequently are unable to hold their urine normally while on steroids.

Beth
A former member
Post #: 100
Hi Beth
My understanding from my vet is that med induced & spay incontinence are related & if a dog shows sensitivity to steroids then it is likely spay incontinence will come at an earlier age. The lack of estrogen causes the increased sensitivity just like women in menopause or after a hysterectomy. Emma would leak even when she had just emptied her bladder, so this is logical to me.
Sally - I also wanted to mention that we used doggy diapers successfully during this time & it helped reduce soiled bedding. The type for females in heat. And also if you get some waterproof sheets for any beds she lays in that will help as well.
beth
beth_w
Houston, TX
Post #: 199
Unless steroids are given on a regular basis so that changes occur in the urinary bladder they are not related. If steroid use is continuous and long term then urinary incontinence may be permanent. Every dog I have ever put on steroids has had a problem holding their urine but only one has ever had urinary incontinence without being on steroids. She did wonderfully on Proin, though. Hopefully, your girl will never have a problem.

Beth
Lisa G.
user 11393675
Austin, TX
Post #: 10
Hi
I used estrogen for my dog. She started with leaks about 4 to 5 years old. It seem to solve the problem. She lived to be 13 with no more problems with leaks