add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

The Austin Area Great Dane Meetup Group Message Board › Skipper and Gilligan

Skipper and Gilligan

Michael H.
user 13361634
Austin, TX
Post #: 18
Those that know my family, know we are frequent fosters for but rarely do I use this forum to "market" any of the dogs entrusted to us. However at this time I am prepared to break with tradition lest we find ourselves out of the foster network due to over indulgence. You see, about 4 weeks ago I drove to Brownsville, TX to pick up a young stray Dane but came back with him and a similarly stray Black German Pointer. The 10 month Dane and 5 month Pointer immediately were the best of friends in the long car ride home so I decided to name them Skipper and Gilligan after the 2 lost and best friends of the TV show "Gilligan's Island". While they each had significant health issues I am happy to report both are "out of the woods" and on the path to full recovery. Ah, the blessing of youth. Anyway, what strikes me most and the reason I write this tonight is the near perfect disposition of both of these dogs. Skipper, the 10 month Dane, is the most affectionate, mellow, but engaging foster we have had. If there were a model of what we cherish in our Great Danes personality, he would be the benchmark. Similarly, Gilligan is the faithful servant and retriever of tennis balls whose gaze begs the question "what would you like me to do next". Had we not shared our home with 2 wonderful Danes already, I would have no need to write this as these two "blessings" would already be home but to do so would close the door to further rescue efforts so I invite you to consider if you or a friend might be ready and interested to make either of these young pups part of your family. If so, please apply at
Michael H.
user 13361634
Austin, TX
Post #: 19
See them on Fox7 news