align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Austin Area Great Dane Meetup Group Message Board › Waste Disposal Systems

Waste Disposal Systems

Don H.
user 6350199
Austin, TX
Post #: 11
Do these things work? I'm talking about the ones that are typically made of plastic or steel, that you dig a hole for and "plant" in your yard. You are supposed to add bacteria and enzymes (that the company sells, of course) to speed up the breakdown of waste and control odors.

We have two Dane pups, 12 and 13 weeks old, and will put one in our back yard if they are effective. And if so, brand names would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Don
Suzy
user 8518371
Round Rock, TX
Post #: 17
We looked into this a couple years ago a decided against purchasing it because it didn't get great reviews. It also requires you to dig a four foot hole and I don't know what your soil is like but we have hard rock just below the surface and even a 1/2 foot hole requires power equiptment! Most of the reviews stated that although it advertizes it can take the waste of two dogs people state this is not true (and they were people with 50 lb dogs). They also don't seem to work well in hard clay, rock or sandy soils. People also comlained about having to add water to it daily. Like I said, I never did get one so I can't say first hand if they are effective or not. We have a poop bucket that we line with a garbage bag and use a pooper scooper (like the ones the zoos use in elephant enclosures) to pick up after the dogs. We also tip the garbage pick up workers nicely at the holiday;)
Don H.
user 6350199
Austin, TX
Post #: 12
Thanks, Suzy. Doesn't sound encouraging. Maybe I can train them to use the toilets.

Don
A former member
Post #: 35
We have dung beetles. Those guys are great!

Unfortunately, they're out of season, right now.
Don H.
user 6350199
Austin, TX
Post #: 13
That's our problem. Those guys are great at waste disposal, but not at this time of year.
Suzy
user 8518371
Round Rock, TX
Post #: 19
What is a dung bettle? I've never heard of this. How does it work?
Don H.
user 6350199
Austin, TX
Post #: 14
Ugly, black-shelled little suckers (eaters is more appropriate) that love dung. They'll eat a pile of it in a day, depending their numbers. Thus far we haven't had any of our dogs go after them.
Suzy
user 8518371
Round Rock, TX
Post #: 20
do you put the bettles in a composter or do you just introduce them to the yard?
A former member
Post #: 37
do you put the bettles in a composter or do you just introduce them to the yard?
It's like the Field of Dreams. Poop and they will come.
Don H.
user 6350199
Austin, TX
Post #: 15
For sure. They're one of God's little miracles.