Greater Charlotte Libertarians Message Board › Reading List

Reading List

A former member
Post #: 49
Here is a list of my favorite Liberty related books. I included fiction as well, because sometimes I learn more from fiction than I do from non-fiction. Again, please feel free to add your own, and I will add to the master list:

Non-fiction:
The Law - Frederic Bastiat
The Road to Serfdom - F.A. Hayek
Economics in One Lesson - Henry Hazlitt
The Irrepressible Rothbard - Murray Rothbard
How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World: A Handbook for Personal Liberty - Harry Browne
Democracy - The God That Failed - Hans-Hermann Hoppe
Fugitive Essays - Frank Chodorov
Mencken Chrestomathy -H.L. Mencken
The Ethics of Liberty - Murray Rothbard
When in the Course of Human Events - Charles Adams
Liberalism: The Classical Tradition - Ludwig von Mises
For a New Liberty: The Liberation Manifesto - Murray Rothbard

Coming soon:
Revolution: A Manifesto - Ron Paul.

Fiction:
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - Robert A. Heinlein
Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert A. Heinlein
Dune - Frank Herbert
Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand
A former member
Post #: 1
Good reading list; I've read some of those and added a few to my very own long list. Hopefully you've read Dr. Paul's Manifesto by now.

As an aside, the one thing I do with books that I like very much is to pick up an extra copy or donate my own clean copy when I'm done to the local library. It's another way I try to spread the word to the masses, and I like to think there will be some bright kid who checks it out in the future who will be encouraged to run for office on the Libertarian ticket, or maybe just join a meet-up group.
A former member
Post #: 1
My reading 'to do' list is getting long also.

So far on the list:

Farenheit 451
Atlas Shrugged
Animal Farm

The ones I've done so far:

US Constitution - A must read for EVERYONE who wants to defend it against the rhetoric of those who seek to undermine it
The Federalist Papers - There are 85 of them and are written of course in Old English so they take a while to get through
Anti-federalist Papers - What could be a better tool to learn to defend the Constitution with except the oldest arguments against it.