February 28, 2013 · 7:00 PM
This location is shown only to members
Yiassas! Hope everyone is having a good Presidents Day weekend!
We continue to have some excellent MeetUp and parea this year.
Our next Greek Language MeetUp of course will be on Thursday, Febuary 28th at 7 pm at Mourayo in DuPont Circle (my apologies for any confusion on this month's location). As usual, we will start at the bar then get a table.
Here's a quick list of other things happening this month, some of which are this week. I will try to note the ones I will attend.
- On Friday, February 22, 2013 at 6:30 pm the Embassy of Greece hosts a roundtable discussion on the legacy of Dr. George Papanicolau, the Greek-American inventor of the pap smear test. Three scientists will lead the discussion on his accomplishments and legacy.
- On Sunday, February 24, 2013 from 2 to 4 pm the Goethe Institut hosts "Mapping Democracy: Utopia and Renewal" a video conference between 'the two cradles of democracy, Athens and Washington' and the Goethe Institut in Munich. The conference will focus on the future of democracy, and will be held at the Goethe Institut, 812 Seventh St. NW near the Gallery Place Metro stop. For more info visit: www.goethe.de/washington or www.mapping-democracy.org. Please rsvp to [masked].
- Kellari has their monthly Greek night on the first Friday - March 1st this month, I think - of every month with food, wines and music starting around 8 pm, downtown on K St. NW. FYI, I rarely make it to Greek night but look other MeetUp members.
- Kellari also hosts their monthly Greek wines happy hour starting at 4:30 on the first Monday of every month on March 4th. I will likely get there around 6 pm.
- Finally, the Panorama of Greek Cinema is on Wednesday, March 6th at 8 pm.This month's film has not been announced yet; for more info visit http://www.theavalon.org/programs-events/panorama-of-greek-cinema/. Folks usually go the the Chevy Chase Lounge/Parthenon Restaurant for a drink around 7 pm.
That's plenty for now. See you at Mourayo for our MeetUp on the 28th.
Ta leme! - Athan