Mar 28, 2013 · 7:00 PM
This location is shown only to members
As veterans of MeetUp know, March is usually a busy month for Hellenic events in DC and around the world of Hellenism since Greek Independence Day is on March 25th. A great way to celebrate is our Greek Language MeetUp on Thursday, March 28th at 7 pm at Yamas in Bethesda.
Here's a quick list of other things happening this month, some of which are this weekend. I will try to note the ones I will attend.
- On Saturday, March 16th, 2013 at 11:00 am the Embassy of Greece in collaboration with the Modern Greek Language Program at Georgetown University hosts the first Greek Literature and Book Festival. The festival, which will mainly be in Greek with some translations, will honor Greek poet C. P. Cavafy and will feature lectures, short film and readings. It will be held in the Bunn Intercultural Center Auditorium, 37th and O Streets NW. RSVP to rsvpculture AT greekembassy.org. I'm going with my mother who is in town.
- On Wednesday, March 20th, from 6 pm to 8 pm, the American Hellenic Institute in cooperation with the Hellenic American Caucus present "A Congressional Salute to Greek Independence" in room 2220 of the Rayburn House Office Building. RSVP to georgea AT ahiworld.org. I'll get there a little after 6 pm.
- On Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 5:30 pm our friends at Prometheas along with The Hellenic Organizations of the Washington Metropolitan Area sponsor a celebration of the 192nd anniversary of Greek Independence, with a keynote speech from the Ambassador of Greece Christos Panagopoulos. The ambassador will discus the 3 heroes of the war of independence: Kolokotronis, Karasiskakis and Kanaris. The celebration will be held at St. George Greek Orthodox Church, 7701 Bradley Blvd. Bethesda, MD.
- Also on Sunday, March 24th, from 2 to 6 pm, our friends at Mourayo celebrate their 9th birthday! I'm out of town that day but folks should try to stop by. You can RSVP at facebook.com/mourayo or to mourayo AT verizon.net.
- On Greek Independence Day, Monday, March 25th from 6 pm to 8 pm The Hellenic Center at 6506 Bells Mills Road in Bethesda will sponsor an open house with refreshments and parea. I hope to drop by this event; let me know if folks want to car pool.
- Kellari has their monthly Greek night on the first Friday - April 5th - of every month with food, wines and music starting around 8 pm, downtown on K St. NW. FYI, I rarely make it to Greek night but look other MeetUp members.
- Kellari also hosts their monthly Greek wines happy hour starting at 4:30 on the first Monday of every month on April 8th. I will likely get there around 6 pm.
- Finally, the Panorama of Greek Cinema is supposed to be on Wednesday, April 10th at 8 pm.Once again, this month's film has not been announced yet; for more info visit http://www.theavalon.org/programs-events/panorama-of-greek-cinema/. Folks usually go the the Chevy Chase Lounge/Parthenon Restaurant for a drink around 7 pm.
That's plenty for now. See you at MeetUp on March 28th, or at a Greek Independence Day event. Ta leme! - Athan