Oct 25, 2012 · 8:00 PM
This location is shown only to members
Yiassas! My apologies for the lack of emails lately regarding all things Hellenic. I was suffering a serious case of Natitude, that blocked out all my other activities (such as updating our Greek Language Meetup site).
There are pretty good amount of Hellenic events on the horizon, kicked off my our upcoming MeetUp on Thursday, October 25th at our old stand by, Mourayo in DuPont Circle at a new time - 8:00 pm (I have another appointment that night at 7 pm).
Here's a quick list of other things happening this month. I will try to note the ones I will attend.
- The Washington OXI Day Foundation has two day of activities and commemorations scheduled for October 24th and 25th. Most require registration and tickets. For more info visit their website.
- On Tuesday, October 30th, the American Hellenic Institute sponsors a forum at 12 noon to commemorate Oxi Day! Dr. Lidia Santarelli, a fellow in Italian history at Columbia University, will speak. For more info visit AHI's website. I will probably make it to this event.
- Also on October 30ththe Hellenic Society Prometheas and the American Hellenic Institute will screen the documentary "Byzantium after Byzantium: at Saint Sophia's Frosene Center at 8 pm. The story chronicles the history of Phanariotes families after the fall of Constantinople. A reception will follow where guests will get a chance to meet the film's producer. I am going to this event.
- Kellari has their monthly Greek night on the first Friday (November 2nd) of every month with food, wines and music starting around 8 pm, downtown on K St. NW. FYI, I rarely make it to Greek night but look other MeetUp members.
- Also on November 2nd at 7:30 pm, The 'Nikos Kazantjakis Chapter' of the Cretan Association of Greater Washington, DC presents "A Cretan Musical Night" at St. Katherine's Greek Orthodox Church in Falls Church. The concert is a benefit for the PAA Cretan Fund. Doubtful to make this one.
- Kellari also hosts their monthly Greek wines happy hour starting at 4:30 on the first Monday of every month (November 5th). I will get there around 6 pm on the 5th to toast President Obama's re-election.
- The Panorama of Greek Cinema features "The Mountain in Front" on Wednesday, November 7rd at 8 pm at the Avalon Theater, 5612 Connecticut Ave. NW. The film description (at http://www.theavalon.org/programs-events/panorama-of-greek-cinema/ ) states "the fireworks for the Resurrection ceremony are the reason an old dark hostility between Luan and Thymios is rekindled." We try to grab a drink at the Parthenon/Chevy Chase Lounge prior to the film around 7 pm.
- Asteria Productions presents Vasilis Karras and Paola at the Alexandria Hilton, 5000 Seminary Road, on Sunday, November 18th. For tickets visit Asteria Productions' website. I will not make it to this event despite owning a few Karras songs on my iPod.
- Finally, on Friday, November 23rd at 9:00 pm, the Laconian Society of Washington, DC holds it's 77th Annual Dance at the Capital Hilton Hotel,[masked]th St. NW. We went one year and had a great time, but I will be in NC for Thanksgiving so will miss it this year.
That's plenty for now. See you at Mourayo.
Ta leme! - Athan