The Green Tortoise Adventure Travel club Message Board › What would you do?

What would you do?

Zeke T.
user 11690892
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 21
When you visit a park for the first time, how do you pick the trails you want to backpack on or hike on?

I'm asking this because I need input for my thesis project. I would appreciate your sharing. Thank you.
Zeke
A former member
Post #: 8
When you visit a park for the first time, how do you pick the trails you want to backpack on or hike on?

I'm asking this because I need input for my thesis project. I would appreciate your sharing. Thank you.
Zeke

Hi Zeke --

Personally I research ahead of time online or with books. I try to find out what trails are in the area, what sights/features the trail will lead me to, how well used the trail is, if it is a loop or an out and back, how long it takes the average person to complete the hike, elevation gain/difficulty, and whether I'll need a map or if it is well marked. If they are readily available, I will ask a guide, Park Ranger or local staff also.

I prefer trails that loop, lead me to water, are moderate in difficulty and have sights along the way.

Hope this helps!

Shaunna