GreenPittsburgh Message Board › Anyone with Greenhouse Experience?

Anyone with Greenhouse Experience?

Andy
MeetupDude
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 220
I was thinking of buying a greenhouse. There's two at a place, Harbor Freight, that I was interested in and would appreciate your feedback & experiences. I also have a 20% off coupon which would make these greenhouses even less expensive. The one I'm most interested is a 10x12-ft one...

http://www.harborfrei...­
This would be the least cost per sq ft and appears to have the most whistles & bells.
10 Ft. x 12 Ft. Greenhouse with 4 Vents
ITEM # 93358 MANUFACTURER: ONE STOP GARDENS
Build your own 10 ft. x 12 ft. Outdoor Greenhouse and extend the growing season
Only: $829.99
Sale: $719.99
In areas with mild winters and night frost only, this aluminum greenhouse helps you grow vegetables, plants and flowers year-round. In colder climates, this metal greenhouse will extend your growing season for several weeks. Easily assembled with a double-extruded aluminum frame. UV-coated polycarbonate panes slide into place.
- Four vents ensure proper conditions
- Durable extruded aluminum frame
- UV-coated polycarbonate panels
- Two sliding doors give easy access
- Metal foundation base for extra stability
Doorway dimensions: 4.87 ft. W x 7.70 ft. H
Overall dimensions: 12-ft. L x 10-ft. W x 10-7/8-ft. H
Shipping Weight: 216.00 lbs.
Click to Download the Manual for the One Stop Gardens 93358 10 Ft. x 12 Ft. Greenhouse with 4 Vents
http://manuals.harbor...­
REVIEW SNAPSHOT® 2.8 out of 5 (based on 31 reviews)
67% of respondents would recommend this to a friend
====
7/10/2011
(8 of 8 customers found this review helpful)
5.0 LOVE IT
By Tom Thumb Landscaping and Enclosures
from Lake Tahoe, Nevada
About Me Master Gardener
PROS
Comfortable Grip
Easy To Use
Lightweight
Redesigned Tough panels
Solid Construction
Weather Resistant
CONS
Trying hard to think of 1
BEST USES
Gardening
Outdoor Amusement
Comments about One Stop Gardens 10 Ft. x 12 Ft. Greenhouse with 4 Vents:
I don't know where the other reviews came from. I put these together for a living and this is by far a superior product ! Most likely problems came from inexperience!
BOTTOM LINE Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
====
6/23/2011
(5 of 5 customers found this review helpful)
5.0 LOVE IT
By JIMBO236GARDEN
from CENTRAL NJ
About Me Avid Gardener
PROS
Easy assembly
Gets the job done
CONS
USE CAULKING IS A MUST
BEST USES
ELONGATE GROWING SEASON
Gardening
USING THE ON-LINE INSTRUCTIONS, AND HAVING READ REVIEWS/COMMENTS ON MULTIPLE WEB-SITES, WE USED
CAULKING ON THE PANELS AND EXTRA CLIPS. WE HAVE THIS IN A PRETTY HIGH WIND AREA, BUT SET IT ON AN
ANGLE TO DIFFUSE THE IMPACT A BIT. THE DOOR IS FACING THE TYPICALLY LESS-WINDY SIDE. CENTRAL NJ HAD ITS SHARE OF BAD WEATHER AND SNOWFALL OVER THE LAST 2 YRS. WE USE A SIMPLE CLAMP ON THE DOOR TO KEEP IT FROM SLIDING OPEN---NO BIG DEAL. OUR PROPERTY IS NOT FLAT AND WE BUILT A FOUNDATION, BACK-FILLED IT WITH GRAVEL AND GROW ON TABLES AND IN RAISED BEDS. IT JUST TAKES A BIT OF PLANNING!! WE CAN HONESTLY SAY WE LOVE THIS GREENHOUSE AND HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT.
====
6/21/2011
(3 of 3 customers found this review helpful)
1.0 Agree with wind recommendations.
By Phred
from Golden, CO
About Me Avid Gardener
PROS
All parts labeled
Lightweight
CONS
BEST USES
Agree with the previous posters about instructions and wind resistance. Order double extra clips, that still may not be enough. I liked that all the pieces were clearly labeled, the frame was relatively easy to assemble. Every time we have the slightest wind however I am chasing plastic panels around the yard, or asking my neighbor to hand them back over the fence. I may end up pop-riveting the panels to the frame. We tried caulking them in to no avail.
BOTTOM LINE No, I would not recommend this to a friend
====
3/24/2011
(22 of 22 customers found this review helpful)
3.0 Cleverly designed but won't take wind
By Dick Denman
from Undisclosed
I put mine up by myself this past fall. If I were to do it again I'd try to get a helper. Don't modify anything, just make sure that the metal foundation is square and level. The panels are cut accurately. Don't give in to the temptation to cut them to make them fit or it will leave a gap. If they don't seem to fit, check that the frame is square and check out where they are binding. Once all of the hundreds of pieces are put together and all nuts and bolts checked for tightness, everything will work. Even the doors and vents will work if all is "square". Then use silicone calk around the panels or trust me, you'll be chasing fllying roof and wall panels when it gets windy.
Finally, today we had rainy, windy storm. My green house has collapsed. It's on the ground, a twisted metal hulk. I don't know how many panels are scattered. Had the instructions made it clear that it would not survive the sort of winds we get routinely in northern California, and advised buyers to anchor the upper corners with guy ropes to ground stakes, like you do with a cabin tent, it would probably still be standing. Do that or be sorry. I'll do the silicone calking and put on the guy ropes when I repair it this spring. Experience is such a good instructor because, first you get the test, then you get the (often bitter) lesson. Are we having fun yet?
====
3/11/2011
(11 of 12 customers found this review helpful)
1.0 useless
By Tom McBride
from Undisclosed
We mounted this greenhouse on a foundation in the shelter of a large barn, but every time we get any wind in excess of 30-40 mph the panels blow off. The door even blew off over the winter. Some of the panels have blown off several times.
Right now it's pretty much a naked aluminum frame except for three panels I reattached with bolts and washers. If we can find all the panels when the snow and ice melt, hopefully we can reattach them all with bolts and washers. But there really needs to be a sturdier fastening system with this greenhouse.
====
2/21/2011
(7 of 7 customers found this review helpful)
Design could have been better
By Ken
from Undisclosed
The design of the structure for the 8X6 size did not work well at 10X12. The foundation steel, top rails, and crown beams are not heavy enough for even a light snow loading. The foundation bowed out to the point that I installed extra interior bracing in the floor to pull it back upright. The track over the doors began to sag almost immediately, making the doors difficult to open and close. I have solved most of these with additional bracing (not supplied), but it has taken a lot of re-engineering to accomplish what might have worked well in the smaller size, but does not in this expanded version. The main structural parts are simply not heavy enough. I lost several panels in the first windstorm before I devised a more secure method of attachment to the rafters.
Andy
MeetupDude
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 224
Move reviews...

2/13/2011
(9 of 9 customers found this review helpful)
4.0 Pretty good for the price
By leo723
from Undisclosed
I bought this and it took my husband about a week to put together. So far, it has withstood 2 snow storms with accumulation around 6". He took 2x12s and stood them up to frame the bottom and set the greenhouse on top of it and secured it with screws. No other reinforcement has been necessary so far. It is somewhat of a pain to put together and you definitely need to make sure it's level and plumb or the doors won't open and close properly. But all in all, it was definitely worth what I paid for it. I may buy another one soon.
====
2/11/2011
(7 of 7 customers found this review helpful)
1.0 Don't buy it
By Jdmorris
from Undisclosed
There is better ways to spend your money! We haven't even gotten plants into yet because the panels have blown out twice. Most of the nuts ( 90%) have fallen off so if you do try this, put Loctite on them to begin with. Two pieces of the aluminum structure have already broke including one of the sky light completely ripping off! Take my word for it, you would be better off buying some 2x4's and plastic panels.
====
1/17/2011
(9 of 10 customers found this review helpful)
1.0 Not Very Happy
By Matthew
from Undisclosed
Building the thing was like building a 1500 piece expert jigsaw puzzle. Able to do it, but took time and got it done with HELP. Didn't think about sealing around the panels right away and am paying for it. Severe storm wiped the panels out. Earwigs (bugs) crawled into the openings of the panels and died. The doors from day one have been a nightmare. They suck and do not work at all. As I said a severe storm wiped the panels out. It will cost me more to replace the panels than to buy a whole new greenouse and use the panels from it. This greenhouse sucks. It just so happens that I am reading the reviews cause I am looking for replacement panels. I should have read these before I bought the thing.
====
12/30/2010
(12 of 12 customers found this review helpful)
4.0 Blog link to instructions and an extra idea.....
By Mike S
from Undisclosed
This is the site for extra instructions. I thought this might help those who are considering this greenhouse and if you read this (blog site) first, you might have less frustration and more success. Apparently the included instructions are not too helpful, but this guys blog is very detailed. Also, I'm planning on securing the panels by using Liquid Nails on the corners of the panels and a dab in between corners as well and am wondering if anyone else has tried this or knows of any consequences to doing it this way? L.N. is extremely strong and I'm hoping will solve any "flying panels" issues. Thanks for any responses. Mike in Apple Valley, CA (very windy, also). I gave four stars mainly for the price value. We'll see how it goes after construction.
http://hfgh10x12.blog...­
====
12/23/2010
(6 of 6 customers found this review helpful)
2.0 YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR
By LARRY STEVENS
from Undisclosed
I AGREE WITH EVERYONE ELSE. WINDS ARE NOT THIS GREENHOUSE FRIEND. I HAVE LOST AND FOUND THE PANELS AND HAD TO SCREW THEM ON TO THE FRAME TO WITHSTAND ANY WINDS OVER 20 MPH. THE DOORS ARE TERRIBLE. I AM IN THE PROCESS OF REDESIGNING. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT.
====
12/14/2010
(5 of 5 customers found this review helpful)
1.0 very poor product, not the same as the one on display.
By Rich
from Undisclosed
I do not recommend this product to any one. It is poorly made with inferior parts and weak to the weather.
====
11/26/2010
4.0 It's all there, BUT
By David
from Undisclosed
And I'll get right to the "but"...My wife dreamed of adding a greenhouse to our new semi-retirement home. so we shopped and shopped and found this one for the best price. HOWEVER, we highly recommend you find the same blog we did. A gentleman in AZ built this with high winds in mind and was excellent with complicated projects (such as this). He gives you step by step instructions on how to build and more importantly MODIFY the existing structure to handle nearly any type of environment. It is a priceless guide through the maze of actually getting this thing done RIGHT. Additional costs for materials (all purchased at the local Lowes) ran about 200.00. That included modifying everything from the foundation to the rafters. Great close up shots in the blog too.
Without his "template" for constructing this thing, we would still be scratching our collective heads wondering "Why the heck did we buy this thing again??!"
Average temperature difference on sunny days (and we get alot of sun) is 47 degrees warmer inside the greenhouse so it's also functional throughout the winter. (Added a 10k btu NG heater in there for her also with a temp gauge and an ocillating fan in the corner to move the air.)
====
11/26/2010
(2 of 2 customers found this review helpful)
4.0 Fantastic greenhouse - with added renforcements
By Tina
from Undisclosed
We purchased this greenhouse 3 years ago and followed the directions plus some of the online blogs (GardenWeb). It came out great! Two days after completion, we had one of the worst wind storms (40 -60 mph) ever, and it held up just fine. The added renforcements are a must in high wind and snow areas! Also, order extra clips. We used twice as many clips as the directions said to. We also added bubble wrap insulation which REALLY helps with heating costs. I'm giving 4 stars because the instructions are terrible and the doors are a big problem in winter as they tend to freeze in their tracks.
Andy
MeetupDude
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 225
11/21/2010
4.0 Definitely worth the money
By JayCee in Ga
from Undisclosed
I did a bit more for the foundation. The trench I dug out was about 8" deep, where I put down a foundation of 4 x 6 treated lumber (make sure it is square and level). The metal frame was then attached to that with sheet metal screws. This was done for two reasons, A-to more securely hold in high winds, and B-to provide a bit of insulation from the colder outside earth. As to erecting it, one person can do it but it does take an effort. Just take your time and make sure the foundation is square and level before you start putting the framework up. As to the comments on the vents and doors, I agree, could be a lot better. I've closed two of the vents off and used foam rubber insulation strips to make them air tight. The other two have the window vent opener installed, but only for summer use. The do work well. Just undo one clip and leave them closed for winter. WD40 does a lot to keep the doors moving easily.
Last winter I kept all of our outside plants in it, even banana trees, and all made it. I started plants for the garden in Feb. I only added heat when it got to about 34 degrees, used small electric space heaters. This year I've connected one end to the house, thus more stable temperatures, and am in the process of adding a solar hot water system to it. Presently all the summer plants are already inside and I've started growing a few tomato plants in it.
Now it does have some inside bracing, the framework is fairly strong. As to panels blowing out, I've had one to come loose on one side. If you put four clips per each side of a panel, (one near the top, one near the bottom, and two equally spaced in the middle,) it does a better job of holding them down and in place. Would I buy another one, yes.
====
11/7/2010
(1 of 1 customers found this review helpful)
5.0 Great for the money
By funnylady funnylady (Carol Ries) c****@cfl.rr.com
from Undisclosed
Great GH for the money. I started out with the 6X8 HFGH. Liked that so tried the 10X12 HFGH. Liked the 10X12 so much I got another one and put them together back to back so I now have a 10X24 ft HFGH. I have doors on both ends which maked moving things in and out alot easer.I have about 100 orchids hanging from the roof. The sides started to bow out so I took chains and put them across the midle and that has taken care of that problem. And I'a getting another 10X12 to add on again. So I will have a 10X36 HFGH for a lot less than it would have cost me with the more expencive one. If it wasn't for these greenhouses I would never have been able to have a greenhouse. SO THANK YOU HARBOR FREIGHT for making them.
====
11/6/2010
4.0 Patience pays big dividends
By William Horner
from Undisclosed
The toughest instructions I have every had to follow - be prepared to build; take apart and rebuild as you try to understand the instructions (every part was included and then some). We still built this in only two days start to finish. I have seen this greenhouse withstand a significant amount of wind gusts without problem (and no I did not add anything to the structure or put in any additional screws). It is very sturdy - no exceptions. It is also very warm in freezing temperatures as well. I have it loaded with tropical plants, hot and sweet basil plants, and vegetable plants (approximately 42 large potted plants using two levels in three isles)
I did a lot of research before buying and this is the best investment for a sturdy cold winter large greenhouse
====
11/3/2010
1.0 Harbor Freight's products are "USUALLY", MUCH BETTER THAN THIS!!
By Brenda Mathes-Story
from Undisclosed
I HAD THE GREENHOUSE PUT UP BY A PROFESSIONAL GREENHOUSE INSTALLER . It has NO bracing in the inside, and of course it didn't last thru the first month. We had some wind and it just folded over. Harbor Freight has good quality tools and at fair prices. This product does not measure up to the usual quality of Harbor Freight products. Harbor Freight need to have a better quality of a greenhouse or just "JUNK" the 93358, and forget about greenhouses.
====
11/1/2010
5.0 Great greenhouse (10x12)
By grace
from Undisclosed
Purchased in 2006, after hurricane Rita, so it's made it through a couple of hurricane's in southeast Texas. It was sheltered on one side by a building. I dug out a 3 in. trench for the frame to sit in, used pea rocks around this. You have to follow the instructions carefully. I put black weed block on the floor, and then put (cheap) regular white rock on top of that. I put a regular light bulb with a refector. Winter of 2009/10 put a heater that came off and on for the days that were really cold. Didn't loose any plants. I'm having to order some rollers for the door, the only thing that has gone bad from alot of use. Did I mention that this is a great greenhouse for the money?
====
10/25/2010
1.0 Piece of junk
By Jon
from Undisclosed
Had wind and panels blew out. Tried screwing in panels, next day entire thing collapsed. Thankfully they are giving me a refund.
====
10/1/2010
4.0 Poor instructions but great greenhouse for the price.
By Dan Neuman
from Undisclosed
The instructions are not the best but managable with some patience. The first year we had a sudden 4 foot of snow which did collapse the roof because we were not home to shovel it off. The major damage was to the roof and once repaired it has taken a lot of wind and rain with no problems but we did use self tapping screws to secure the panels. It is a great greenhouse for the price and is holding up very well.
====
9/3/2010
1.0 Don't waste your money
By paulina
from Undisclosed
The clips are useless - breezy day your panels go sailing everywhere - took one gust of wind and poof - entire frame crumbled. Salvaged what we could and built a wood frame - anchored the entire structure to concrete. Have to replace some panels that cracked in the wind. Doors are a joke - replace those with vinyl sheeting hanging. Expected a much better product for the money we spent.
Andy
MeetupDude
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 229
8/18/2010
1.0 No Hail No major winds and ours went sailing into a neighbors yard - So sad
By Las Vegas -
from Undisclosed
We siliconed all the panels those clips suck. We even put in 4 of those piston hinges for the top. How sad all that money is now gone. I like the idea of reusing the panels. We had a little wind. Make sure you anchor it down if you buy it and yes it takes forever to build.
====
8/18/2010
5.0 Happy as two peas in a pod...
By Lori J.
from Undisclosed
Wow, I'm surprised to hear about everyone's problems... I live in the mountains at 4500 ft elevation and we get snow, wind, hail, you name it... I've had mine for 3 winters and with some extra structural support (L shape aluminum), silicone sealant, self-tapping screws and heavy duty clips from Charley's GH Supply, I have not had any problems. Keep in mind every once in a while you may need to tighten a few screws and adjust the doors, but for the money it's a good deal. In fact, our community has collected enough money to buy a GH for a nice lady in the neighborhood and we are getting a HFGH 10 x 12. Between this site and GardenWeb, if you are willing to learn from another's experience, this can be a great greenhouse...
Signed,
Happy as two peas in a pod....
====
7/20/2010
1.0 NO WIND, NO SNOW, NO PROBLEM
By CHRIS, NOR CAL
from Undisclosed
DO NOT BUILD IN WIND OR SNOW AREA
====
6/21/2010
1.0 Not worth the Money
By Sheri Reed
from Undisclosed
Bought the greenhouse got it built, a week later had a storm with wind and panels went flying, two days later more panels went flying. in that same night it was cruppled by the wind. Now I have a pile of scrap aluminum and no greenhouse!!!!!
====
6/12/2010
2.0 poor instructions/wind damage
By Carl Wilcox
from Undisclosed
The Confusing and inaccurate instructions cause construction delays.
Door frame poorly designed so the doors are difficult to open and close.
High winds have collapsed the entire green house, had hoped that it would make it but once the first panel came loose from the clips, it was a death knell.
====
6/6/2010
4.0 3rd year and counting..
By Gay P. in Colorado
from Undisclosed
I purchased this greenhouse 3 years ago (upgraded from the smaller 6x8) and have had no problems with it's stability. I love the size and would have given it a 5 star rating except the instructions were whack! ... had to do a lot of improvising and modifying. Many thanks for the online instructions, which made a BIG difference!
====
6/1/2010
4.0 Good End Results
By Stacia M
from Undisclosed
This product was a little challanging to put together (we didn't know about the improved online directions), but we took lots of time and did a bit each day. They could use more illustrations to improve the directions (more like IKEA). Also purchased the vent openers, which we returned, they were very poor quality.
====
5/31/2010
1.0 Mangled by high wind, Panels destroyed by Hail
By Mick
from Undisclosed
I constructed this greenhouse a couple of years ago. High winds in Colorado destroyed it a few months later. I was able to recover the polycarbonate panels but the aluminum structure was mangled and unusable. I rebuilt the greenhouse using the recovered polycarbonate panels and standard 2x4 construction. The greenhouse has been working good until a couple of days ago when the top polycarbonate panels were destroyed by a hail storm. Do not construct this greenhouse in a high wind or hail prone area.
====
5/18/2010
5.0 GOOD PRODUCT AND PRICE
By DAVE WHITTAKER
from Undisclosed
REVIEW; INSTRUCTIONS WERE VERY GOOD, I HAD TO READ SOME TWICE AND LOOK AT THE ILLUSTRATIONS, BUT HAD NO TROUBLE. THE BASE MUST BE SQUARE AND LEVEL, I HAD TO CUT ABOUT A 1/4 INCH OFF OF SOME OF THE SIDE PANELS AND THE PANELS BELOW THE ROOF VENTS FOR SOME REASON. SILICONE THE TOP AND BOTTOM OF THE DOORS WHERE THEY TOUCH THE SLIDES. TWO PERSONS ONLY NEEDED TO UNPACK, AND HOLD ONE END OF THE WALL AND CENTER BEAM. ALL HARDWARE WAS THERE AND THEY EVEN PACKAGED EXTRA SPARE HARDWARE WHICH WAS NOT USED. LOOKS GREAT AND I'M HAPPY I PURCHASED IT.
Andy
MeetupDude
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 232
The second greenhouse I'm considering is this one. It's smaller...

http://www.harborfrei...­
6 Ft. x 8 Ft. Greenhouse
ITEM # 47712 MANUFACTURER: ONE STOP GARDENS
Only: $399.99
Sale: $299.99
- UV-coated polycarbonate panels
- Sliding door for easy access
- Top window helps control heat
- Durable extruded aluminum frame
- Overall dimensions: 98-1/2" L x 75-7/8" W x 77" H
- Window dimensions: 23" L x 20" W
- Door dimensions: 64" H x 24" W
- Shipping Weight: 81.00 lbs.
Click to Download the Manual for the One Stop Gardens 47712 6 Ft. x 8 Ft. Greenhouse
http://manuals.harbor...­
REVIEW SNAPSHOT®
4.3 (based on 19 reviews)
75% of respondents would recommend this to a friend
====
7/17/2011
(3 of 3 customers found this review helpful)
5.0 Fits Like A Jig Saw Puzzle
By Happy Customer
from Seattle, WA
About Me Getting Started
PROS
Parts aligned perfectly
CONS
Sliding Door Sticks
BEST USES
Gardening
Comments about One Stop Gardens 6 Ft. x 8 Ft. Greenhouse:
After the foundation, the pieces came together like a jig-saw puzzle in one weekend. You will need a lot of patient and read the instructions multiple times. The instructions were precise but terse and could use more details and supporting pictures, not the drawings, which were more confusion at times. I wish this green house has more diagonal braces across the roof and back side for more stability. I would recommend this product to any beginner gardener.
====
7/4/2011
(4 of 4 customers found this review helpful)
4.0 Takes Patience to Build - But Worth It
By Rich
from Aloha, OR
My wife and I just built our 6 x 8 greenhouse this weekend and it turned out great. I will say that the instructions are pretty bad and could use some more illustrations... but with patience and some logic, we were able to put it all together. A sense of humor and not taking things too seriously are the order of the day when building this greenhouse. We are really pleased with the finished product and are hoping to get many years of use from it.
====
6/25/2011
4.0 Nice Green House for the money
By Pennie
from Tacoma, WA
About Me Avid Gardener
PROS
Good value for money
Holds heat in NW
Nice size for garden area
CONS
Door doesn't fit opening
Door doesn't slide good
Poor Directions
BEST USES
Gardening
Poor directions made it take longer to construct. Built it on a pressure treated raised floor with spacing for water to drain down. Poor fitting door makes it hard to slide. Will be caulking it per the advise of other consumers.I am starting lots of vegetables and flowers in it with great results.For the money this is a great product.
====
6/24/2011
(1 of 2 customers found this review helpful)
2.0 Parts were missing
By Pat
from Montgomery
PROS
CONS
Took a while to put toget
BEST USES
Gardening
It tooks us a while to put together working on weekends and around the rain. Page 14 into the project we realized we were short parts. I should have inventoried everything up front. Because I could not find my receipt I had to pay for the nuts and bolts to finish the project.
BOTTOM LINE No, I would not recommend this to a friend
====
6/22/2011
5.0 Great value
By David
from SW New Mexico
It can't be beat for the price. I bought it on sale. I used railroad ties for the foundation. I read about the panels blowing out so used silicone adhesive caulk. This also made it very sturdy. We have lots of spring wind here in NM. It has stood up well in 60mph gusts!
====
3/6/2011
(4 of 6 customers found this review helpful)
4.0 Okay so far
By Steve in Idaho
from Undisclosed
We set this us in the fall of 2010 so we have not really used it unfortunately the Idaho winds took out two large panels already - I wish we had followed the sales person's advice on caulking last fall instead of waiting till spring. Bad idea to wait. I agree with everyone else on the instructions and the difficulty in the door opening. I am still excited to use if I can replace the panels. Thanks for tips on heating.
====
1/30/2011
(6 of 7 customers found this review helpful)
4.0 Good Greenhouse for the price
By Becky
from Undisclosed
Took a couple of weekends to finish, with foundation.
Would suggest caulking or using silicon to secure the panels. So far they stay just fine since we siliconed all of them.
The door is a problem and so is the weather stripping. We bought regular door weather stripping and siliconed it to the side of the green house where the door closes.
====
1/26/2011
(4 of 5 customers found this review helpful)
4.0 Works great except during our summers
By Linda - Phoenix
from Undisclosed
The greenhouse is great, we have enjoyed a lot of veggies from it. I need to find replacement panels, some were damaged by a hail storm we had. Please advise as to were we can find them.
Thanks!
====
1/24/2011
5.0 sticking door
By Dale
from Undisclosed
we are very pleased with our new greenhouse. the instructions could use some better illustrations though and the door sticking is typical for alluminum so just rub parafin wax on the tracks and your door will glide smoothly.
====
1/23/2011
4.0 great product...... needs better instructions.....
By mike
from Undisclosed
all in all very good. it took about 2hrs before i gave up and went online for better instructions.
====
1/22/2011
(1 of 2 customers found this review helpful)
4.0 needs small chanes
By gary
from Undisclosed
needs a heat sorse i fond my drop light with 100w balbe was all i needed
====
12/2/2010
4.0 6x8 Looks great but a little small 8x10 would be just right.
By Mike in SE TX
from Undisclosed
Project took about 1 day to prepare area for the foundation and ~2 days to setup. I doubled 4x4's for greater head room and use 3' rods to secure to ground. Instructions were ok but a few pics would have been very helpful. It was windy during construction but the dreaded clips held, at least for now. Great project for my wife and me. Look forward to winter and early spring.
Andy
MeetupDude
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 235
11/26/2010
Love the 6'x8' greenhouse
By Henry
from Undisclosed
I absolutely love my greehouse. Installation took a couple days (1 for foundation - you'll need to buy materials for the type you choose) and 1 for setup of the structure. I caulked all of the roof panels for better seal and to minimize what some call panel fly off. I haven't had any problems with the panels being loose or coming off. Take your time, build it carefully, and you shouldn't have any issues. I remove the side panels in the summer so the plants inside don't overheat. Drought tolerant plants love it in there in the summer. The sliding door is sticking a bit after the 2nd season, but I think some lubricant will fix that problem. A nice feature to add would be some ceiling hooks for hanging baskets and some sort of support for grow lights. The frame seems sturdy enough for a few pounds - I rigged up a flourescent fixture to the main roof support to give the plants a little extra light in the winter. Now I wish I had the room for a larger greenhouse!
====
11/7/2010
5.0 WORTH THE TIME TO PUT IT TOGETHER
By MICHAEL G.
from Undisclosed
FUN PROJECT, TOOK SOME TIME TO PUT ALL THE PARTS TOGETHER, BUT WELL WORTH IT. IT'S NOV. 2010, FALL IS IN FULL FORCE IN THE SOUTH (SOUTH CAROLINA COAST) NO PROBLEMS!! FUN TO SEE ALL THE SUMMER PLANTS ENJOYING THE WINTER LIKE THEY MOVED TO HAWAII
====
10/22/2010
5.0 once it was up I love it!
By Sheryl
from Undisclosed
Yes, as everyone says it seems that it was poorly translated to english and I hated the bottom frame! The first one I bought was missing part of the bottom frame! had to load it up again and take it back then wait 2 weeks till they got another one! Once it was here I was able to get it up pretty quickly but couldnt for the life of me figure out the door! I had to take a trip down to HF again and take a close look at the door on their little model greenhouse to finally figure it out. I did not attach the door on the bottom frame because it kept sticking no matter what I did, however I use a brick pushed against the door to keep it closed. I built a 2x4 frame and bolted it to a cement pad then bolted the greenhouse down to the frame. It is now rigid and holds down nicely. The spring latches for the panels took some figuring as well but once I figured them out the were easy to put in and have stayed tight now for 2 years! Since I live in Riverside, Calif I am thrilled that I have not had to replace anything from the sun or wind! I do cover it with a light shade cloth in the summer or my goodies would bake to dust... I am using it as an aquaponic greenhouse so I am growing both Tilapia fish and vegies in there just fine. Nothing is bolted to the walls so I have not had the problems of some others here. Next summer I will splurge for the gas vent openers for the windows.
====
10/8/2010
3.0 Frustrating instructions and no response from email inquiry
By Diana
from Undisclosed
Luckily have lots of patience as the instructions were often confusing. Unfortunately the 3 panels in the door don't fit, all too narrow. have been unable to contact company by phone and no reply to my email. Will keep trying. Despite the above complaint am quite pleased with price and finished product.
====
10/6/2010
5.0 Not a bad deal!
By Joe B
from Undisclosed
We caught it on sale and saved quite a bit over the similar ones on ebay. I agree that the instructions are a bit vague, but considering that is a Chinese product I'm grateful that they ware translated by someone that speaks good English. We went with the 4x4 foundation but instead of burying the pillars we attached 4 anchor bolts and set them in concrete. The 8" round forms worked nicely. I will be sure to silicone the windows to seal them and help to hold them in place. It looks nice and will do the job. I hope it holds up well in a hail storm. Time will tell.
====
9/30/2010
5.0 Definitely designed and instructions written by an engineer!
By Debbie
from Undisclosed
I received this green house as a gift and love it! But have to agree with everyone else regarding the instructions! Took two of us to figure them out but actually once on a roll it went up well. I'm looking forward to producing chemical free veggies!
====
6/9/2010
5.0 Grreat buy
By Phil
from Undisclosed
We bought this greenhouse two years ago it was and is a great buy. It is a project to put up, but just takes time. After two years of northwest weather it is still operating and meeting all our needs.
Nick L.
nickladieu
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 49
Probably 2 late for my 2 cents. I am more of a cold-frame cat. Check out my video of adding one to a 4x4 raised bed garden.

https://www.youtube.c...­
Doug
user 81047792
Mount Pleasant, PA
Post #: 43
I do not know if you ever bought one or not. The polycarbonate plastic works well and is a pretty good insulator. My neighbor has one that is 10X 12 and he raises a lot of plants from seed in it. It is not aluminum, which I feel will transfer the cold much quicker. His is all plastic and was about $3000 new, he paid $1000 used for it. The green house will stay about 10 degrees above ambient outdoor temperature, so if it is 32 out side it will be 42 inside the green house, but if it gets down to 22 you are screwed. He has the gas filled vents that work automatically. More vents are better, it gets very hot very quickly inside the greenhouse. If your purpose is to grow a few plants from seed then the cold frame idea might be good enough. If you plan on trying to grow tomatoes all winter, well, Good Luck.