addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
A former member
Post #: 2
As someone fairly new to the group, can you acquaint me with the reason for trails names and how new members would know which name belonged to who? I know if I decide on one, it can't include the number 13!

Cathy

Hi, Russ here
Kristin has brought to my attention the need for us all to have trail names. I don't know why , but she sounded convincing. Often, we want to make our own nick-names, but, alas they are often stamped on us by others when we unwittingly do something a little strange or off-center. Here are my two initial recommendations

Adrienne- during the Letchworth hike, she definitely earned the moniker "fungus-girl" for her obsession with "all of the cool mushroom tulips"

Derk- Yoda for his Jedi-like powers

Kristin wants to be called "walks into trees" but we may have a better name for her in the future.
Please put your recommendations for other names on this thread. Embarrasing photos are optional, but encouraged.

Happy Trails!

A former member
Post #: 3
Hello everyone, Further trail name ideas: for Sharon G. - "Comic Relief" because she is just that! For Bill S. - "Billy Goat" because if you've seen him hike, he climbs hills and hikes with great ability and has the qualities of a leader. I'd like to see someone use the name "grasshopper" from the old t.v. series Kung Fu - that would be great! Please share any input. Colleen "Fall Girl 10.0"
Derek
user 6553662
West Henrietta, NY
Post #: 1
Cathy, the best explanation of this is on the link that Mike and Cathy added to their comment of September 7. In summary, a trail name was generally a name backpackers were given or took that (someone felt)expressed some aspect of their character or behavior. Usually these were picked up on longer backpack trips. This naming is now leaking over into hikers on shorter trips.
Bill
user 3209846
Rochester, NY
Post #: 1
Hello everyone, Further trail name ideas: for Sharon G. - "Comic Relief" because she is just that! For Bill S. - "Billy Goat" because if you've seen him hike, he climbs hills and hikes with great ability and has the qualities of a leader. I'd like to see someone use the name "grasshopper" from the old t.v. series Kung Fu - that would be great! Please share any input. Colleen "Fall Girl 10.0"

Thanks Fall Girl. I will accept the moniker and compliment - there are worse names a hiker can be called than billy goat. I like comic relief for Sharon, that seems to fit. Grasshopper would be a good name for a younger member.
Sharon G
user 8259872
Rochester, NY
Post #: 6
Since I'm already "Comic Relief" in the Rochester Hiking Group, it seems only natural that the name should follow me to GVHC.