Can you imagine yourself giving a presentation at a conference? Have you done it, and weren't too happy about it? Or has the thought never occurred to you, but you might like to hear about other womens' experiences?
This Ladies's Night we're going to talk about:
- why it might be good idea to do something as scary as getting up on stage and talk to 100 people
- common excuses why one doesn't - recommended reading: Excuses, excuses!
- how to find a suitable conference and topic
- how to get your talk proposal accepted
- how does it feel to hold the presentation, how does one deal with nervousness
- what makes a good presentation, and how you can best prepare yourself
- how to deal with unequal gender distribution (especially as a speaker) and lots of other things you might be wondering about.
In addition June will present for us her talk about communicating as a programmer, which she is going to hold at the PHP Conference UK. The talk will be about half an hour and in English. She's holding the talk for us both as practice for herself and to give us a specific example.
Come with your Lady friends, and feel free to bring your laptop and some snacks!
As always, feel free to drop in to our IRC channel #stationx on freenode to chat with us or ask questions! Don't have IRC? Use the webchat, no registration required!