For session 2 we'll be covering the following.
- Describing foot printing and active reconnaissance.
-- Check for live systems
-- Check open ports
-- Banner Grab
-- Prepare proxies / anonymizer
-- Prepare vulns
-- Draw network diagram
- War Dialing
- The TCP/IP handshake process
- Passive WiFi Listening
- Using NMAP to scan network resources (Most time spent here)
- Using HPING3 to walk a firewall rule set
- Using Nikto to uncover mis-configured web servers
- Counter measures. (Defense can be sexy too)
A basic test:
Do you know the OSI reference model?
What port does SMTP use?
What port does telnet use?
What transport protocols do they use?
if you’re having trouble answering the above questions these sessions are likely not for you. You can choose to sit and strugle if you’d like however you’ll have the most success if you master the basics first.
- Nmap 6: Network exploration and security auditing Cookbook by Paulino Calderon Pale
- CEH Certified Ethical Hacker All-in-One Exam Guide - by Walker, Matt (Sep 7, 2011)
Get Setup (Required!):
Download Kali Linux
Install Kali (use physical hardware or virtaul machines, either will work)
- sudo apt-get update
- sudo apt-get upgrade