NOTE: Tickets for this two-day workshop are $5, payable in advance on Eventbrite. You must register on Eventbrite to guarantee a seat — and there is a wait list available. Register on Eventbrite to get on the wait list for this workshop.
Hacks/Hackers, Trulia, Fast Company’s Co.Design and O’Reilly Media have teamed up to co-host a two-day data visualization workshop for journalists in New York and San Francisco. Created in support of the Obama Administration's critical Safety Data Initiative — a historic effort to make government safety data on transportation, crime and consumer products much more accessible — these workshops aim to help journalists investigate and tell stories fueled by this data.
WHEN: 6:00PM to 9:00PM on Tuesday, Sept. 4 and Monday, Sept. 10, 2012.
REGISTRATION: Class size is limited, and the RSVP list — on Eventbrite — closes Aug. 31, so sign up now. You must register on the Eventbrite page to reserve a seat. A "Yes" reply on Meetup.com will not guarantee you a seat.
WHERE: Fast Company's downtown headquarters:
7 World Trade Center
(250 Greenwich St.)
New York, NY 10007
- Brian Forde, Senior Advisor to the U.S. CTO on Mobile and Data Innovation, will introduce and provide insight on the Obama Administration's Safety Data Initiative.
- Jon Bruner, Editor-at-Large at O'Reilly Media will lead the New York City workshop.
- More speakers to be added soon!
KEY TAKEAWAYS: Designed for both established and emerging journalists, these workshops will provide hands-on instruction on how to understand, source and tell compelling stories using data visualizations.
The Sept. 4 workshop will focus on how to find and understand government data.
- Find out more about the different government data sets on transportation, crime and consumer products that are available through the Obama Administration's Safety Data Initiative
- Learn data-handling basics including introductory analysis techniques and tips for using common government file formats.
The Sept. 10 workshop will provide an overview of useful tools for dealing and visualizing data.
- Dive deeper into how to use different data visualization tools for effective storytelling, building on what was taught during the first workshop.
- Participate in hands-on exercises on how to conceptualize and sketch out visualizations.
RSVP by Aug. 31 on Eventbrite to guarantee a seat the the two-day workshop!
Questions? Contact Daisy Kong at dkong[at]trulia.com.