Please Read this entire document before registering
UPDATE: 2010-March-18 - Have all 10 spots filled. If people drop out will grab those from wait list.
I will move you from the wait-list to Yes/No once I review your responses to the RSVP questions
The Total from all cross posted versions of this event shall be:
Everyone must register individually, there are no guest registrations
Have you wished to backpack and sleep out under the stars. Maybe you have some new gear you'd like to test out. Or possibly you feel like me and can't wait to get back out on the trail after a long snowy winter. If so, please join us on this low elevation gain, short distance trip. This two day, one night, backpack trip will take us from Gathland state park to the scenic views from Weverton cliffs. From this high vantage point upon these cliffs one can see Harpers Ferry and the intersection of the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers. Hopefully, there will be room in a shelter for the evening where we will have an enjoyable, restful sleep with an awesome view of the valley below. A total of about 8 miles will be covered on day one. The next day there will be a short 4 mile hike back to the cars.
Lights out and quiet by 9 pm.
Up and out of camp by 10 am the following day.
I do not rate hikes by the confusing descriptors of Easy, Moderate, or Difficult.
What is Difficult for one person may be an Easy hike for another. A more accurate description is given below.
Remember, for a backpacking trip you will be carrying a 30 - 40 lbs pack (typical).
What seems light at home will start to feel heavier as the day progresses.
Hike mileage (approximately):
Day 1: 4 miles to shelter, optional 4 Miles to/from Scenic view
Day 2: 4 miles
Hike Elevation Gain/Loss (approximately):
Day 1: 1000'
Day 2: 200'
Hike Pace (Speed):
We will try to maintain an average pace of 2.0 mph
RESTRICTIONS (These rules MUST be adhered to or you will be asked to leave the event):
No dogs or people under 21 years old.
No Cotton Clothing.
Must wear sturdy hiking boots appropriate for backpacking.
No smoking during entire trip.
Follow Leave No Trace Principles (www.lnt.org)
Sleeping Bag (appropriate rating with 10 deg margin for expected weather conditions)
Tent, Tarp, or other shelter
Headlamp + spare batteries
Cook set (Pot + spoon)
Stove + Fuel + matches
Food (one Breakfast, two Lunches, one Dinner)
Water container + water (at least 2 liters)
Water purification system
Hiking / backpacking boots
Hiking socks (+extra pair)
Extra Clothing (as needed and appropriate for weather conditions)
Rain Jacket / pants
Bear bag + 40' cord for bear hang
zip lock bags (two x large) - used to pack TP and garbage out
First Aide Kit (eg. Mole Skin, Advil, Bandages, etc)
Camp Shoes (e.g. Tevas or old sneakers)
AFTER HIKE OPTIONS:
No plans yet !
I have limited E-Mail (Internet) access before this event; will attempt to respond
Carpool Location (Meet at above time):
(be kind to your carpool driver and bring a plastic bag to place muddy shoes in and a clean shirt, pants and shoes to change into)
TO BE SUPPLIED LATER
Arrive at the meeting location prior to the stated time as I plan on a VERY PROMPT departure. Please budget sufficient time to arrive early.
RSVP and No-show Policies:
RSVP YES: Only if you have a real intention of showing up. YES is not MAYBE. Please be respectful of others who actually wish to attend. If you must change your RSVP, please do so at least 7 days prior to the event start time. No shows will not be permitted on any of my future events. If you have a legitimate reason why you could not attend and could not update your RSVP, please contact me and I will take this into consideration. Those who RSVP for multiple and simultaneous events will be excluded from any of my current or future events regardless of their excuse.
RSVP Maybe: If you RSVP Maybe, please update your RSVP at least 7 days prior to the event so others who want to attend may do so. After this time your Maybe RSVP will be deleted.
I will cancel a hike in the event of severe weather (e.g. thunderstorms actually occurring in the hike area) or hazardous trail conditions (such as ice on the trail). Whenever possible, I will send a cancellation notice prior to hike time. If this is not possible (or the hazard is not apparent until we are at the trail head), I will decide at the trail head whether to hike or not.
Please do not post any comments pertaining to wanting me to move this event to a different location, a different time, or another day.