align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Baltimore Hiking Meetup Group Message Board › want to know the inns and outs of hiking

want to know the inns and outs of hiking

A former member
Post #: 1
It will be for the first time. I would be grateful if somebody could help me by sharing his/her knowledge about hiking. What stuff do we need to take along, cloths we should put on, and all you know because I'm just a novice but, want to learn and explore. Kindly help.
Soffee
spastoriza
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 8
Happy Morning!

Here's what I remember from my Girl Scout leading years (getting back into outdoor life myself after a long while). I welcome any and all suggestions since I'm kinda rusty at this! biggrin

1- CLOTHING: Wear LAYERS of comfortable, non-chafing clothes. Ideally, you want materials that dry easily. Some outdoor clothes do come with SPF integrated. Bring your own sunblock lotion and HAT regardless.

2- SHOES: Use COMFORTABLE quality shoes that give your toes plenty of wiggle room. Using high vs low ankle shoes may depend both on preference AND terrain. Waterproof shoes or even socks can be a good idea, but you do need your feet to breath. For shorter, beginner hikes, regular tennis shoes are ok. If you plan on making hiking a long-term life activity, I recommend taking the time to research which shoe would work best for you.

3- BACKPACK: A light backpack that FITS your shoulders without digging or rubbing can be a life saver. If it has support straps for the chest and waist, make sure you can clip/close them comfortably if you had to wear all your layers (including sweater and rain coat).

4- MINIMUM BACKPACK CONTENTS: water, snacks, sunglasses, hat, sunblock, first aid kit, whistle, cell phone, money plus coins, id (I leave my wallet at home), bandanas are always useful.

NOTE: A long hike is never the place to try new clothes or shoes without a backup and first aid kit. The tiniest blister in the wrong place is enough to ruin your entire day.

Just take it easy, experiment, and enjoy!
S.