addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Baltimore Hiking Meetup Group Message Board › New York Times article gives ideas where to go for winter camping.

New York Times article gives ideas where to go for winter camping.

A former member
Post #: 5
Hey Everyone,

I don't know if ya'll are fighting cabin fever yet, but I came across a New York Times article online that has some good travel/camping/hiking ideas for the winter. While none of the locations are local, unfortunately, anyone with vacation time left to burn since the holidays and itchin' for a campfire could make something of it. Whether you?re a newbie or veteran to winter camping, some of the most memorable (or miserable) times outdoors are during the winter.
(http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/01/04/travel/escapes/04winter.html?ex=1357189200&en=a1540069be4f8b96&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink­)

I'll never forget my first backpacking experience was during the winter. The Boy Scout troop I belonged to hiked the AT (don't remember which section exactly) for a weekend trek. I was 13, over packed (my mom backed my backpack), ill prepared, and cold. I was in the very back of a meandering line of boys who all seemed better off then I. I cried most of the trip and was probably very dehydrated from the PVC raincoat that I was wearing the whole time. But, in the midst of my misery it began to snow. Flake on top of flake stuck to the ground and to the bark of the trees. By morning the next day there was probably an inch of light snow accumulation. With the sun reflecting brightly off the white ground it illuminated the ice glistening on the branches of the trees where leaves use to be. It truly was a winter wonderland.

Here I am, 16 years later and still remember it like yesterday. Of course, I?m better prepared since the experience biggrin

Happy Trails,
Steve