The Baltimore Hiking Meetup Group Message Board › Hiking Boots

Hiking Boots

A former member
Post #: 1
Anyone know where I can get some nice waterproof hiking boots relatively cheaply? Or if not cheap what are some really good ones? I am thinking about buying these:

http://www.sheplers.c...­

Decided to ask the pro's, haven't bought a pair for a decade... Finally outgrew my last ones.
A former member
Post #: 2
Probabley will go for Vasque Breeze Low GTX, the ones above were on the big side... A member turned me onto Vasque and they definately look like good hiking shoes.
A former member
Post #: 6
I have a pair of Merrell Pulse II Mid Waterproof Hiker (for women) and love it. I got it from campmor.com; they have good prices. But I doubt there are many size choices left for men for this particular style.

http://www.campmor.co...­
A former member
Check out the boots at Red Wing before you spend too much. You can find a local store and try them on. They have great boots. I have a pair that admittedly are not in great shape, but they are 25 years old. I also bought some hiking boots from them 5 years ago and love them.
A former member
Post #: 3
Thanks about the redwing, I was really looking for mid-sized waterproof shoes I could run in (for the winter). I'll prolley get one of those boots when I want something larger for white water kayaking camping trips where I get really, really, really muddy, right now I just use my old hiking boots for that. (too uncomfortable for a trip)

Thanks also for the Merrell, their line of boots look exactly like Vasque's. Gives me some more options and some lower pricetags.

I just looked at Merrell's casual shoes and was really impressed, I am going to have to buy some shoes for everyday wear from them... Here's another thanks for that awsome brand. Their world passports look excellent.
A former member
Post #: 9
You can also check different stores online for big sales. www.REIOutlet.com is a nice source. I got my $100.00 waterproof hiking boots for $29.95. That might be a possibility if they still have the shoe in your size. Just a thought.
Aaron
user 5462407
Woodstock, MD
Red Wing has 1 outlet store in MD it is in glen burnie near the MVA.Most of the shoes and boots on the outlet side are 30%-50% off.If you are in the area its worth stopping in.
A former member
Post #: 4
Thanks, I will check it out, they actually have several stores in Maryland according to mapquest, with one in Bel air, Catonsville, Baltimore, and Glen Burnie.
A former member
Post #: 5
Thanks for your help, I decided to use my main shoes which are nice trail running shoes anyway as hiking shoes and elected to get a nice pair of buisness casual shoes for anyplace I need to be without muddy shoes. Gonna keep an eye out for deals at Redwing, REI and Kohls. Waterproof really isn't necessary anyway as long as you have good thick fleece socks.