The Baltimore Hiking Meetup Group Message Board › cancling postoponing the hike today

cancling postoponing the hike today

Dominic F.
user 3796644
Washington, DC
All;

My apologies. I'm going to have to reschedule this hike. I re-aggrevated my leg injury this evening (tripped over my dog, of all things)...and I'm not trailworthy at the moment.
Once my leg does finally allow me to return, I' ll repost this hike.

Alternatively, heading up to the park to check out the history/scencery (including HdG) is always a worthwhile alternative.

-DRF

Julia
user 7549976
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 1
I went up to the meeting point to see if anyone else would still show up, thilnking the late cancellation might not reach everyone... But, as far as I could see, no one else showed up.

So I went off on my own, met some other folks for a bit and then a friend who lives nearby came over and joined me. It's a great spot, glad to be introduced.

I am a bit puzzled, this being my first attempt to come on one of this Meetup's activities. Does everyone always check email the morning of? Is it unusual to cancel at the last minute? Seems like, for an easy to find route like this one, even if the leader can't make it, anyone else who wants to can still go. Julia
A former member
I agree with you Julia. Although I have only recently signed up and have not attended a hike, I'm looking forward to the Wed. evening hike. I would certainly go along with other members if the organizer could not make it.

Why not?
Leadaria
user 7613508
Glen Burnie, MD
I will be attending the Wednesday evening hike as well. I'm willing to go with or without the organizer. This will also be my first hike with the group. I'm very excited to have found you all!

Carolyn =)
Kevin
user 3214901
Parkville, MD
Post #: 14
First, I want to thank Julia for taking the initiative by going up to see if anyone else showed up to the hike. I am glad you still enjoyed your hike.

Now, here are a few words on the more important issue here. It is VERY rare for this group to cancel an event. Unfortunately, in this case, Dominic injured himself very late Friday night leaving him no other option but to cancel. So, yes it is always a good practice to check the site or your email for last minute updates. I came close to canceling my last two hikes due to thunderstorms. After watching the weather radar for each hike, I saw that we had a narrow window to get both hikes in, hiking in the rain is one thing, hiking in a thunderstorm ... no thanks smile. If I were to cancel a hike due to weather, I will still show up to the hike just in case some people did not get the message. Having injured my own leg a number of years ago, I have a good idea of what pain Dominic was having. I understand why he could not be there.

As Organizers, we try very hard to make sure that each hike will be an enjoyable and safe experience for everyone. As far as hiking without an Organizer, sure, that is always an option open to you. My advice is that you do not hike alone. That being said, I am the worst violator of that rule when I pre-hike my hikes. On one of my pre-hikes, I had to talk my way out of a very precarious situation that I do not need to discuss here. Remember, there is always safety in numbers.

I look forward to seeing everyone Wednesday evening for our hike. Get well soon Dominic.

Kevin