align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Baltimore Hiking Meetup Group Message Board › Scheduling Falls Trail Hike @ Ricketts Glen State Park in PA

Scheduling Falls Trail Hike @ Ricketts Glen State Park in PA

A former member
Post #: 8
Hello everyone! I'm posting this message to see what the initial interest/availability is in for hiking the Falls Trail of Ricketts Glen State Park in PA, the weekend of, October 11-12th (Sat & Sun), before I post a RSVP for the event. The RSVP will be up by next week for the above date with more details on planning carpooling/caravan, overnight camping, and hiking the Falls Trail at Ricketts Glen. If you sound interested keep reading.

This is the same time last year when I hosted a trip with this group to hike the Falls Trail at Ricketts Glen State Park in PA. This year, as with last year, the group will camp overnight at Ricketts Glen because of the length of the drive to the to get to the trail in PA (staying overnight is not required for the hike, but is highly encouraged). Everyone who attend last year enjoyed themselves and loved viewing the waterfalls of this little known gem in PA. Features of the hike include over 7.2 miles in length, moderate to difficult hiking, and 21 beautiful waterfalls ranging in heights from 11-feet to 94-feet. Elevation change for this hike is around 800 feet from the trailhead at the bottom to the top of the Falls Trail. This hike will also be during the peak time for fall foliage in this area, so you'll definitely want to bring a camera.

If you've never heard of that Falls Trail at Ricketts Glen State Park, here's are websites to answer any initial questions. Pricing for overnight camping reservations and location will be listed when the RSVP is posted. I've pre-hiked the Falls Trail plenty of times, so email me if you have any questions or comments.

Pictures from last year's hike
http://hiking.meetup.com/160/photos/232322/?offset=10#2315732­

Link to the Ricketts Glen PA State Park Web Page
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateParks/parks/rickettsglen.aspx­

Link to midatlantichikes.com
http://midatlantichikes.com/rickettsglen.htm­
A former member
Post #: 8
I am interested. I have heard of this park before and friends have suggested it as a great place to hike. Depending on the drive time would we drive up early Saturday and drive home late Sunday?
A former member
Post #: 4
I am wondering what is the distance we will be hiking. Is there a way to incorporate a shorter hike (about 4 miles). I would certainly love to camp. Sounds wonderful!!
Jeff
buddhadog
Bel Air, MD
Post #: 4
I would definately be interested at least for the day, but hopefully overnight camping. I heard about it last year as was sorry I missed out. I may also bring one or two friends along.