The Baltimore Hiking Meetup Group Message Board › Plantar Fasciitis-Heel Pain

Plantar Fasciitis-Heel Pain

A former member
Post #: 2
Hi all--just wanted to ask fellow hikers--have you ever had Plantar Fasciitis and how long did it take to get better? Also, did you find if you wore really supportive boots, you could still do the hikes?
A former member
Post #: 5
If you haven't actually been diagnosed with plantar fasciitis, you might want to try a simple "cure" that could fix your heel pain. I got this suggestion from a fellow backpacker who was a physical therapist, after we were talking about heel issues. My pain was in exactly the same spot as you'd experience plantar fasciitis. The PT said that sometimes the problem is really a tight tendon and the pain manifests in your heels. I was skeptical but gave it a try. You stretch the same as you normally would for your achilles tendon. You balance on the balls of your feet on the edge of a step/stair, and slowly lower your heels down and hold. You can feel the stretch. Keep that position for about a minute. Repeat several times a day. In my situation, the pain was completely gone after a week of doing this a couple times a day. To answer your other question - I didn't have a lot of pain wearing hiking boots, but much more so if walking around barefoot or wearing something like flip flops.
A former member
Post #: 9
My Mom has that. Here's what you may consider:

1) See podiatrist
2) Go to Physical Therapy
3) Buy night splints
4) Buy custom shoe inserts ($300-$500) - insurance covers.
5) Buy regular "good" shoe inserts at REI or online. Preferably with big arch so that the pressure goes from the hill to the arch.
6) RICE - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. Apply Ice packs, buy compression stockings or socks, lift the leg above hart level at night, rest is self explanatory.
7) There is a noninvasive surgery where the bone is shattered with the ultrasound without opening the skin. ($$$$ and insurance may not cover it).

Hope that helps,
Dimitri