Calaveras Big Trees State Park is the home of over 900 Giant Sequoia Trees. We will start from the main parking area ($8.00 parking fee) and start along the North Grove Trail where we will pass a tree stump so large it was used as a dance floor and bowling alley/bar in the 1800’s. We will turn right at the Grove Overlook Trail, hike a short distance and veer right again onto the River Trail. The River Trail is very scenic with patches of snow, well shaded with creek crossings and spectacular views of Mount Whitney. We will hike down to the Stanislaus River, have lunch, then hike back up to the Visitors Center. The River Trail is an in and out trail which is approximately 8 miles with 1,000 feet of elevation change. After a break at the Visitors Center and Warming Hut, we will continue to take a short gentle 1.7 mile loop trail through the North Grove containing over 100 Giant Sequoia. This portion of the day is optional, but suggested, as we will stroll through the Giant Sequoias with plenty of stops for photographs.
Sorry but dogs are not allowed on the State Hiking Trails in this park.
Driving directions to Calaveras Big Trees State Park
11th/ P St. Sacramento, CA
1. Head West on P St
2. Turn Left on 9th St.
3. Turn left onto X St.
4. Take the I-80 BUS E/US-50 E ramp on the left to Reno/Placerville
5. Continue onto US-50 E.
6. Take the Watt Ave Exit.
7. Turn right onto Watt Ave.
8. Turn Left onto CA-16 E/Jackson Rd. Continue to follow CA-16 E. 30.5 mi
9. Basically stay on CA-49 S/Golden Chain Highway S. and follow the instructions, Watch for the CA-49 signs.
10. Slight right toward CA-49 S/Golden Chain Highway S. 0.1 mi
11. Slight right onto CA-49 S/Golden Chain Highway S. 7.7 mi
12. Turn left onto CA-49 S/CA-88 E/Golden Chain Highway S
Continue to follow CA-49 S/Golden Chain Highway S. 16.3 mi
13. Turn left onto CA-49 S/Golden Chain Highway S/W St Charles St
Continue to follow CA-49 S/Golden Chain Highway S. 11.8 mi, There is a Starbucks and McDonalds at this location, and a good restroom break.
14. Turn left onto CA-4 Bypass E/Angels Camp Bypass. 1.9 mi
15. Continue straight onto CA-4 E. 21.8 mi
16. Turn right onto Big Trees Pkwy
Destination will be on the right. 144 ft
Calaveras Big Trees State Park
1170 California 4
Arnold, CA 95223
GregS can be contacted at:[masked]