Ahhh, finally! a chance to lead a local hike. Consider joining us for this fun hike. We meet at 11 & P at 7:45 and leave at 8 am.
This is an all time favourite hike amongst many. Who can resist the trail winds of dull woodlands (only about a mile) that leads to panoramic view of the Pacific Ocean and the enigmatic city of San Francisco, the descend to the resort towns of Stinson Beach and the somewhat sheer climb to Steep Ravine all in one hike? Enjoy the chaparral covered hills, the old growth redwoods, the velvety moss concealing the trees and ultimately leading to the beach where we feel the placid ocean breeze onto our face and body.
It is a 7.3 mile loop of moderate ascend, about 1600 feet in elevation change. Duration is 4 to 5 hours depending on how long we want to stay at the beach. For more info about the trail, visit here. http://www.nrdc.org/greengate/outside/adv3.asp
NO DOGS ALLOWED AT THE PARK.
We meet at the trailhead at the Pantoll Station parking lot. Begin the hike with a midway break to Stinson Beach (that means lunch folks!). Let’s hear the thundering waves, crashing surf and dance away into the swing of the twirling wind with the sun splashing its rays onto our face or just simply kick the sand under our feet. Then head back through the easy Matt Davis trail.
The parking lot at Pantoll is small. The overflow parking is third of a mile down the road at Bootjack. Therefore carpool is strongly encouraged. Pool with a hiker of the same ability and schedule. Pay your driver $4 per hour, about $16 and maybe a bottle of wine (joke)
Checklist for packing: Water, hat, sunscreen, lunch, smile and positive attitude.
Directions to the park: (99 miles, one hour 58 minutes)
1. Head west on P St toward 11th St 0.7 mi
2. Keep left at the fork to continue toward CA-99 S 0.2 mi
3. Keep left at the fork, follow signs for I-80/US-50/CA-99/San Francisco/Fresno and merge onto CA-99 S 0.2 mi
4. Take the exit toward I-80 W/San Francisco 0.5 mi
5. Merge onto I-80 BUS W 0.5 mi
6. Merge onto I-80 W 3.1 mi
7. Take exit 33B to merge onto CA-37 W toward Novato/San Rafael 48.2 mi
8. Slight left to stay on CA-37 W 18.7 mi
9. Merge onto US-101 S via the ramp to San Rafael/San Francisco 18.7 mi
10. Take exit 445B for CA-1 N toward Stinson Beach 2.8 mi
11. Merge onto US-101 14.9 mi
12. Turn left onto CA-1 N 0.2 mi
13. Take the 2nd left to stay on CA-1 N 0.1 mi
14. Turn left to stay on CA-1 N 0.5 mi
15. Slight right onto Panoramic Hwy 1.2 mi
16. Slight left to stay on Panoramic Hwy 1.4 mi
17. Turn right onto Mountain Theater Rd/Pan Toll Rd/S Side Rd 2.6 mi
Matt Davis Hiking Trail
Stinson Beach, CA 94970