LAST MINUTE ESCAPE-THE-HEAT hike.
This is an intermediate hike (7.5 miles & 1,500 climb)
***Plan meeting at 11th & P by 7:30am, making carpool arrangements there if you haven't beforehand. I am leaving separately with a car group unless you call me.***
We'll start from Stinson Beach and climb 1,500 feet, starting on the Dipsea trail and continuing on the Steep Ravine trail (keeping cool under the redwood canopy). I'm a fairly slow hiker uphill, so if you know the trails and want to go ahead, just stay with (or in touch with) your car group. At the top, we’ll take a break at the Pantoll Ranger Station (picnic tables, restrooms and potable water), then descend the Matt Davis trail back to the beach. If you are interested in taking the convenient BUS (either up to Pantoll from Stinson or down from it) instead, the schedule is here: http://www.marintransit.org/routes/61.html
I recommend carpooling with hikers with the same schedule. Suggested cost to your driver: $3/hr
DIRECTIONS TO STINSON BEACH:
Hwy 80 west toward San Francisco
- Merge onto Hwy 37 at Vallejo. Go west.
- Merge onto US-101 South toward San Francisco. Go about 15 miles on 101.
- Take Exit 455B for STINSON BEACH/HWY 1
- Turn Left to stay on Hwy 1. Go about 2.6 miles. Take slight right onto Panoramic Hwy
- Go about 8.9 miles on Panoramic Hwy to its end at Hwy 1, being careful to stay on this road at each intersection with other roads.
- Turn Rt onto Hwy 1 and proceed into town for about .5 miles
- Once in the town of Stinson Beach look for the large parking lot on the beach (free and on your left).
We will meet, then regroup later on the pavement in front of the large public beach restroom. you can call my cell:[masked] susan
After the hike, those who wish can hang out on the beach, or take off for a bite to eat. There are restaurants within walking distance from the beach. I am open to ideas.