Samuel P. Taylor State Park
Barnabe Peak and Bill's Trail
Intermediate loop with some strenuous areas.
~10 miles with 1600 ft. elev. gain
Contact: Robyn [masked]
No dogs allowed on the trails in this park.
Intermediate 10 mile hike in the hills and redwoods of central Marin County.
Starting at Samuel P. Taylor State Park, we will first meander through the redwoods, then hike to the top of Barnabe Peak, (1466’) for great views if it is clear. To finish the loop, we take Bill’s Trail down, and a short side trip to explore Devil’s Gulch. If there has been recent rain, water in Stairstep Falls is a possibility.
Start at the Devil’s Gulch parking area alongside Sir Francis Drake Blvd.
1. Take the trail along Lagunitas Creek (walking upstream) toward Sam Taylor Park.
2. Cross the bridge to the right, stop for bathroom break.
3. Turn LEFT on the Pioneer Tree Trail (at the bridge)
4. Take a RIGHT up into the canyon to continue on the Pioneer Tree Trail through the park.
5. Turn right on Cross Marin Trail (bike path) and cross the bridge that goes over the road.
6. Continue on Cross Marin Trail (go past the trail on the left that says to Devil's Gulch).
7. Turn LEFT on Barnabe Fire Rd. All the way to the TOP!
8. Lunch at the fire lookout on the peak
9. Continue on Barnabe Fire Rd. for a short distance (about 3-5 minutes)
10. Turn RIGHT on Bill’s Trail Be CAREFUL not to miss this trail! It's the best part.
11. After about a mile, the turnoff for Stairstep Falls will be on the right. Unless there has been recent rain, it will be dry. This out-and-back detour takes about 7-10 minutes each way.
12. Continue to Devil's Gulch. Then cross the bridge and go LEFT to follow the creek back to the cars.
~11:15am meet at Devil's Gulch parking area on Sir Francis Drake Blvd.
Thank you Shannon for sharing this hike.
Davis Park and Ride to Samuel Taylor State Park (Devil’s Gulch)
1. Take I-80 W toward San Francisco - 41.2 mi
2. Take the exit onto CA-37 W toward San Rafael - 19.0 mi
3. Take the Atherton Ave exit - 0.1 mi
4. Turn left at Atherton Ave - 3.2 mi
5. Continue on San Marin Dr - 2.7 mi
6. Turn right at Novato Blvd - 6.3 mi
7. Turn Left on Pt. Reyes-Petaluma Rd.
8. Continue on Point Reyes Petaluma Rd - 6.8 mi
9. After passing the reservoir, at a point where Pt Reyes-Petaluma Rd. makes a right turn, go straight on Platform Bridge Rd - 2.4 mi
10. Turn left at Sir Francis Drake Blvd and go 2.3 miles.
Park at the dirt parking area on the right. If you pass the road for Devil’s Gulch, you just passed it.
Limited space at the trailhead, so please park tightly.