BEFORE DECIDING TO ATTEND, PLEASE READ:
1. Different abilities welcome. However, please make sure you are fit enough for a minimum of about 6 miles and 700 vertical gain at an altitude of over 9000 feet.
2. WILL DEPART PARK N RIDE BY 8:15 LATEST----PLEASE CALL IF RUNNING LATE SO CARPOOL CAN BE ARRANGED**
3. AND.... DUE TO WILDERNESS RULES OF 12 PER GROUP, MAY HAVE TO SPREAD IT OUT A BIT DEPENDING ON HOW MANY SHOW.
Let's enjoy an early Fall hike in my favorite alpine country. Starting at 8550 ft. trailhead, we'll hike southward to Lake Winnemucca, on the way to 9100 ft. Round Top Lake.
From here, hikers will have two options, and either will allow for at least 30 -45 minutes for lunch:
1. Just hang out at the lake, for a total round trip of about 5.8 miles and 700 vertical gain. Bring a book or take a nap :)
2. Go for the summit of 10,375 ft. Round Top Peak, for an additional 1.25 miles round trip and 1275 vertical gain. It's a beautiful summit, requiring some EASY rock scrambling (no exposed ledges, etc.) the final 250 feet to the top. Great views of the whole southern range for those who make it to at least the saddle at 10,000 ft.
SUGGESTED ITEMS TO BRING: Cotton not recommended. 2 liters water, (I will have purification), light rain shell or fleece jacket for warmth in case of thunderstorms, sturdy shoes or boots, pain meds and/or first aid, sunhat, sunscreen and lip-balm, lunch, whistle, hiking poles, camera, book, wine?, cellphone, and mosquito repellent.
Directions from Iron Point Park & Ride (Folsom)
1. Go east on U.S. 50 to Sly Park Road (2nd Pollock Pines exit) (Approx 35.0 miles.)
2. Make a right to go southbound on Sly Park Road. (Approx. 5 miles)
3. Turn left (eastbound) on Mormon Emigrant Trail (a hard to find turn with only a small green street sign, but there is a country store called "Slypark Resort" on the right just before the turn.
4. After successfully turning onto Mormon Emigrant Trail, go eastbound til the road ends at a T intersection at Hwy 88.
5. Turn Left (eastbound) on Hwy 88. (note odometer)
Go Past Kirkwood. Caples Lake Dam is at approx 12.6 miles.
Go past the Caples Lake Dam which is at approximately 12.6. Go another 3-4 miles til you reach parking at top of Carson Pass ****Try to park at smaller lot on south side (on your right) next to trailhead. If full, can U-turn and go back 1/4 mile to larger parking lot on the north side of Hwy 88. ***Believe it is a $5.00 fee per car, so pay and then we will meet at smaller south-side parking lot next to trailhead.
FOOD AND DRINK AFTER THE HIKE IS ALWAYS A POSSIBILITY !
CAN BE REACHED AT 916 [masked] ON THIS DAY