This is a LIMITED hike meaning only a certain number of people are allowed. Please only sign up if you seriously intend to go. NO SHOWS and LAST MINUTE CANCELLATIONS are FROWNED upon and will be bounced-off all future hikes that I host.
Wanna trade that 105 Degree's for 78 Degree's day high. Normally, I don't do this trip until later in the summer to wait for things to dry out, but the Carson Pass Wilderness Ranger says currently there are no bugs and we had a record lack of snow, so I think, the conditions are good for this trip right now! Many nice rewards are in store for those who partake in this excellent hike and gorgeous scenery.
Checkout a previous year's Meiss Meadow Trip
A moderate elevation gain of 1100 feet in a total of 8 miles mostly on well maintained trails. Other than hiking on a typical straight line, we'll have an opportunity to go cross-country due to the terrain. We'll see the extreme headwaters of the Truckee River (yes, it actually starts here at Hwy 88 and not by I-80) and pop over a ridge to get an awesome view of Round Top Mountain to the South and Lake Tahoe 50 miles to the North. Following that, we'll drop into a high country meadow basin with a full abundance of different varieties and colors of wildflowers. We'll have lunch and enjoy the serenity sitting on the rocks by Showers Lake.
Please wear layers, a light jacket, convertible pants and hiking boots. Bring plenty of water, lunch, sunscreen, mosquito repellant (because of low snow pack this year "the Mossies" may not be as prevelant as in years past But still bring your repellent because you never know for sure!!! ), camera due to lots of photo opportunities, and trekking poles if you have them.
1. Go East on U.S. 50 to Sly Park Rd (2nd Pollock Pines exit) make a right to go southbound on Sly Park Rd.
2. Turn Left (Eastbound) on Mormon Emigrant Trail (watch for the country store called Slypark Resort) on the right just before the turn. Please don't miss this turn!
3. On Mormon Emigrant Trail, go about 35 miles until you hit Hwy 88.
4. Turn left (Eastbound) on Hwy 88, go past Kirkwood and Caples Lake until you get to the trailhead 400 yards before reaching the top of Carson Pass. Turn left into the parking lot on the North side of Hwy 88.
5. We'll probably get to the trail-head around 11:15-11:30 AM