addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Hikers and Company Message Board › New to hiking!!!!

New to hiking!!!!

Nicole
SharkBeta
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 30
Hey guys!!

I'm new to hiking and want to get into it more, but I have no hiking gear what so ever!!! What are some basics that I should look into getting for a new hiker? I know shoes are a must for me. I have hiked around the Pinecrest Lake a couple of times, but I did it in tennis shoes. Besides shoes, what else should I look into getting?
A former member
Post #: 2
If you Google Sierra Club 10 essentials for hikers it will give you the list. When I talk to hikers they never have all 10 on them but only the items needed for that particular hike. As a only two year hiker myself I would say take more water than you think you will need, snacks, sun visor, bug spray and sun protection lotion and a whistle. Those are the items I always have on me. Nothing beats a good pair of hiking shoes.
Will L
WillL
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 8
1 of the advantages of hiking is that it doesn't take much to get started. If you decide that it's something you want to do regularly or if you decide to go on more challenging trips you can collect more gear. Here's a pretty good list of stuff -
http://www.rei.com/le...­
The absolute minimum to get through a day trip are the shoes or boots, appropriate clothing, a whistle, a trash bag & a pack to carry food, water & spare clothing for the day. That leaves someone totally dependent on others if there's an emergency. There's very few trails with outhouses along the way.
"Appropriate clothing" is a mini-subject by itself.
Nicole
SharkBeta
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 31
Thank you! I will start with shoes and a camel pack of some sort. And a whistle. I never even thought of that. :)
Sarah T
user 10066283
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 13
A great way to check out "appropriate" clothing is to talk to some of the REI staff. I like talking to them about pros and cons of various items when deciding, especially if you get someone interested in the same activity. Excellent return policy as well. Also, regarding shoes, if you are not doing a lot of heavy backpacking, you can get a lot of miles done in a trail shoe, so that's another thing to talk to them about. Enjoy! cool