Hikers and Company Message Board › Hiking Shoes or boots?

Hiking Shoes or boots?

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi Everyone, Im new to the hiking thing and wanted to ask a question, if you guys would be so kind. I know I need to buy some good hiking shoes...Im looking forward to hiking some of the more intermediate hikes...What type of shoe or boot should i be looking for? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks again.
Shawn
user 27048472
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 2
Hi Marie,
I prefer running shoes or cross-trainers for urban hikes(flat hard surfaces) and waterproof hiking shoes for mountain hikes(steep inclines on loose dirt). High top hiking "boots" will give you more ankle support but will restrict movement. Whatever you buy make sure they are comfortable.
Bonnie R.
user 56160232
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 3
Hi, welcome the wonderful adventures of hiking! I wear Saucony trail runners (below the ankle bone) on easy to moderate hikes. They have all the grip and support of a good boot but are light a bit more flexible so you can run the trails comfortably. I wear Merrell hiking boots (just above the ankle bone, 1/2 a size bigger) on moderte to difficult hikes. They are actually fairly light as well and the vibram soles are amazing on the rocks but not so stiff that they restrict you. If you go to REI they have simulated rock formations to test your shoes on, I recommend that you go, they are very helpful and knowledgeable too. See you on the trails :) Bonnie
A former member
Post #: 2
Thanks guys for the great info...I did get some Merrell mid-high Hiking boots and figure i can wear my tennis shoes for easy to moderate flat hikes.