Windy City Hikers Meetup Group Message Board › WCH Announcement: Attendence Issues

WCH Announcement: Attendence Issues

A former member
Post #: 1
I feel your idea is a good one. One that we should all be mindful of. I recognize it takes a lot of personal time and effort time to organize these hikes, etc. There are numerous other members that would love the opportunity to take advantage of an event vacancy if plenty of time is provided. I'm sure the policy will prove its worth. cool Rosalinda

Hi folks,
Tonight I'm writing on a serious topic - the growing level of last minute cancellations and no-shows. It has grown to unacceptable levels; for example our Starved Rock hike. Due to the overwhelming demand we opened that trip up to a limit of 60 people. Approximately 30 people showed up to the event. Many cancelled with legitimate reasons and were very good about letting us know. Many other cancelled at the last minute with no notice or simply didn't show. That's simply unacceptable. Up until this point I and the other trip leaders have been forgiving...up until this point.

So we now have some new policies as it relates to attendance. These will be posted to our about us section and for a period of time to the message board as well.

1) 3 Strike rule - many other meetups have this rule so many of you may be familiar with it. It's pretty simple. If you fail to show up for an event 3 times then you will be removed from the group. You will get a warning email for each no show.

2) Cancellation rule - if you cancel during the week of an event with no notice or explanation 3 times in a row then you will be removed from the group.

Meetup has also released a new feature to organizers and assistant organizers - we have the ability to change event RSVPs. We will now be using this feature.

3) High Demand Rule - If you are on the no-show list or 'last minute cancellers' list and the trip you have RSVP'd for is in high demand then you will receive an email from the trip leader. You must respond to this email within 48 hours to remain on the event list.

4) Deposit Rule - Finally, if you've RSVPd for an event that requires a deposit and you fail to pay the deposit by the deposit due date then again you will receive an email from the trip leader. You must pay your deposit or make acceptable arrangements for payment within 48 hours of the email being sent to remain on the event list.

These policies will go into effect May 15th. Over the next two weeks this message board will serve as public forum. If you disagree with these policies and would like to see them changed or support these policies then go make yourself heard here!

For the record - I hate policies. I hate all the tracking and work it takes to support them. Please do me and the other trip leaders a favor - make me regret having these policies by signing up and showing up or cancelling with notice for an event. We all put a lot of work into making Windy City Hikers successful and hate to be harsh but everyone needs a little tough love once in a while!

Thanks for understanding,
Michael

A former member
Post #: 13
Michael,

I'm behind you 100%!

Additionally I feel that people need to give more than 24/48 hour notice if they are going to cancel for a weekend event such as camping (unless they are sick or there is a death in the family) you get the drift.

I for one can't fill a spot at the last minute if I'm taking off for an entire weekend. I typically need to know no later than Monday for a Friday trip. I don't feel being called into work at the last minute is a good excuse. There is something called vacation time.

It is important to set appropriate boundaries at work and be respectful of those you "play" (hike with).

Michael, you are doing a great job and have been extremely fair. I for one appreciate the alternative you are providing to some of the other day hiking groups that are out there.

Janet >o0>^<O
Mary A.
CatintheMorning
Glen Ellyn, IL
Post #: 48
As a person who runs a meetup myself, I have to admit it is an annoying habit that a lot of people have of saying they will come, and then not doing so. It's especially disturbing that half did not show up to starved rock. I know that a few people who would have attended couldn't even sign up because the event filled so quickly.

However, there will be times, we, just my family, cannot avoid canceling within 48 hours. Kids are not always predictable and things come up suddenly, usually health issues. The last time I had to quickly cancel, two of my kids awoke vomitting at 8 and then 9 AM that day. No way to predict it, and no way to give decent notice. And sometimes when the event is in 2 hours, I don't even know how to get into contact with you in any real way.

However, I've rarely done that "in a row." So I agree the three times in a row rule, should do it, because then it says that it's a lower priority for the person generally or they just could be over committed.

The policy sounds like a good one and fine with us. We'll do our best to stay healthy!!
Edited for spelling
A former member
Post #: 14
Yes, I support this wholeheartedly. I have yet to be able to attend an event that I wanted to because they all filled up so quickly. I had been interested in Starved Rock, Kettle Morraine, etc...but all filled up before I could RSVP yes. And then to discover that half didn't even attend, well that's blarney! So thanks Michael for doin' the right thing.
A former member
Post #: 2
I think the new policy makes sense. Hopefully, it will make it easier for me to join you guys one these days.
A former member
Post #: 3
I've missed out on a number of events because they were listed as full. I suspect that many of other folks may be in the same boat. In my opinion, these are generous policies which are more than fair. Also, the recent clarification by Mike was helpful.

Thanks for great work organizing this group!
Frank
user 3075998
Chicago, IL
Good policy change. I often will see a hike and find it completely full as I check my calender. This tells me that there may be a lot of tentative RSVPs that people send in as definite, fracking everything up. (Frank)
Kelly
kellywelly
Roselle, IL
Post #: 5
pretty good rules. I could totally understand. Some of these trips seem really great. I would have been bummed if this Devil's Lake filled up with a bunch of people canceling. It's not like a meet up at a pub or bowling alley which is not as important..
Tina K.
user 6666020
Chicago, IL
Michael, is there any way to get on a secondary list for hikes that currently show full? If there is a way to track those who wish to join but cannot due to availability, you may have a better chance on keeping the hike full. You may already have this as I am new to the hiking group. For example the hike on Sat April 26 shows full but it's a hike I would love to attend. Any suggestions?

Tina
Jeff
MetilHed
Elmwood Park, IL
Post #: 11
Tina,

When an event that you'd like to attend gets filled up (and with 1500+ members and limited spots available, they fill up fast) RSVP "No" and in the comment section, leave a comment that you'd like to attend and want to be on the waiting list. For the event that you're interested, there are already a lot of people on the waiting list, but as the event draws nearer, other things pop up in peoples lives and they drop out. I'm not sure how the trip leaders decide which waiting list people get to go and which don't, but they do add waitlisted people to the "Yes" RSVPs as spaces become available.

HTH,
Jeff