addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Windy City Hikers Meetup Group Message Board › New Hiker-Any suggestions?

New Hiker-Any suggestions?

A former member
Post #: 113
So did I !!!!! This gives a lot of encouragement to me.

Roberta
A former member
Post #: 1
I've been hesitant to join a hike because I haven't been on one since I was in my late teens. I can walk 5 miles now since I started a walking plan a couple months back and am working on increasing my mileage. The types of walks were another concern of mine, what is considered easy, moderate, etc...

I got the chance this month to do a moderate hike at Pokagen State Park in Angola, IN.

The trail I walked on was 2.2 miles and considered moderate. I was breathing hard with a couple of twinges in my sides when going up the hills. I wore gym shoes which I see is a no no based on the advice given and walking up slopes and slight hills is such a different experience than walking on flat surfaces. I did it after a training in the afternoon and again the next morning to see if I could cut my time. I must admit my time was pretty bad. It took me 50 minutes the first day and 48 the next. I can walk 5 miles in 1:18 minutes on a flat surface.

So with all this great advice and a few more individual hikes I look forward to joining your group on a couple of hikes in the new year.
A former member
Post #: 1
I am new to hiking and I was wondering if anyone had any words of wisdom? ;-)

Not totally new, I've taken short hikes staying on trails through a few forest preserves, but never all day hikes.
Hi, I am AlexAndria-these are all great suggestions. I would also highly reccommend always hiking with a buddy--never hike alone. Also, (of course depending on what type of hiking you do--especially if you plan on going to a foreign country)--bring emergency gear--flares, matches, mirror (CD-ROM reflection does not reflect sunlight nearly as far as a mirror does)-a little compact mirror is fine, a whistle, compass, (also if you have a chance, read up on using your watch face (non-digital) as a compass with the sun's direction), flashlight, cell phone, GPS--and always tell at least one person where you are going and when you expect to be back. It might be a good idea to give them emergency phone numbers and your ID/passport number). Also, again if you are traveling outside the country, contact the US State Dept for traveler warnings for US citizens and alert the US Embassy in that country of your itinerary.
I hope this helps and happy hiking!
AlexAndria Kung
www.kungphoto.com
Cathy S.
user 5363512
Oak Lawn, IL
Post #: 25
Can anyone recommend any particular hiking boot? theres so many, any good ones?

Cathy
Cathy S.
user 5363512
Oak Lawn, IL
Post #: 26

I am new to hicking, not walking. So didn't know what hiking shoe would be good, but found this link with recommendations.

hiking shoe ratings

hope it helps someone!

Cathy