addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Windy City Hikers Meetup Group Message Board › There is some Interest in Hiking at the Galenas

There is some Interest in Hiking at the Galenas

Mary A.
CatintheMorning
Glen Ellyn, IL
Post #: 164
There is an interest in doing some hiking in the Galena area this Spring. Can anyone recommend a good month to do this in? Do they have over night facilities in Galena like cabins or camping?

Mary
Ron
user 10888449
Hoffman Estates, IL
Post #: 3
Hi Mary,
This sounds like a great idea. Apple River Canyon State Park is about 30 minutes northeast of Galena. It has nice campsites and some very nice hiking trails (at least for Illinois). So conceivably the group could hike during the day and go to Galena for the evening. As for the best month, as we all know, Spring in Chicago is always “moist”. Average temps are:
April - 59 F / 36F (3.3” rain) ; May – 71 F/ 47 F (3.7”) ; June – 81 F / 57 F (4.6”). So, it’s either cold and “drier” or warm and “wet”!!!
Mary A.
CatintheMorning
Glen Ellyn, IL
Post #: 165
We could try May. I'm thinking the third week in May around the 22nd. Otherwise end of April could be good too.

I"m not a hike or trip leader. Is anyone who is a trip or hike leader interested in leading the group?
Mary A.
CatintheMorning
Glen Ellyn, IL
Post #: 167
I thought we could add some horseback riding while we were that close some great facilities for that.
We could do a trail ride at 3:30 pm at Eagle Ridge/ Shenandoah equestrian center and then eat in Galena and camp where you'd like or drive home that day.

You could do it at the end of the day or start off with it.

Check out the website and see if this is anything some of you would like to do. My family would do it at the end at 3:30 pm on Saturday. Or if no one is interested, we could do it on Sunday morning.

I'm thinking April 24th for the hike and riding, as the first date, and the 22nd of May as the second date. What do the rest of you think about that?
http://www.shenandoah...­
A former member
Post #: 12
This sounds like so much fun!
Mary A.
CatintheMorning
Glen Ellyn, IL
Post #: 168
HI!

I've asked old John to please put this as a meetup on April 24th which is a Saturday.

Sincerely,
Mary Ann
Mary A.
CatintheMorning
Glen Ellyn, IL
Post #: 171
I don't know if we'll be on the Calendar in time, but my family and I are going up to the Galena area, Apple River Canyon State Park on April 24, 2010.

Let me know if you would like to hike together with our family. There is a Park Office, and several picnic areas in the park. Information on trails is at the Park Office. We plan on being at the park office on Saturday morning at 9:30 AM