The Los Angeles Hiking Group Message Board › Poodle Dog Bush - Warning

Poodle Dog Bush - Warning

Lee Z.
user 3009352
Los Angeles, CA
We are seeing POODLE DOG BUSH on our hikes now that we are getting into the burn areas of the Forest.

Fire officials say the decorative flowering plant is springing up in mountain burn areas. "If you see one," the release explained, Just look. Don't touch it or even smell the flowers.

Touching or even smelling the plant can lead to itching and irritated skin, along with small blisters

The Poodle Dog Bush thrives in burn areas, such as areas affected by the Grass Valley and Slide Fires of last fall, but also grows in mountain soils from 1,000 to 8,000 feet in elevation.

The purple-flowered Poodle Dog Bush, is a densely-leafed plant that can grow to nearly 10 feet tall.

Poodle Dog Bush

Poodle Dog Bush is a sticky, ill-scented plant, with bell-shaped flowers. It is covered with hairs that emit a chemical that causes symptoms similar to poison oak.

Contact with the plant can lead to severe dermatitis including blistering of the skin, itchy irritated skin, and swelling. These symptoms may not show up for 12 to 36 hours. No pain is felt at the time of contact.

Lee Zebold

Rex Frankel

Los Angeles Hiking Meetup Group

A former member
Post #: 2
Possible remedy:
washing the areas of contacted skin with local stream sand/mud, (possibly decomposed granite sand is best), seems to work well. It is like lightly sanding off the area...also works well on bull thistle, and poison oak contacts......

amazon indians have similar remedies..

I pushed though 4 miles of poodle-dog bush, on an 8 mile downhill section 3 days ago, unfortunately.wearing shorts and a short sleeved shirt, could not have gotten more on me if I had rolled around in it for hours,, It was the only safe passage down, and the steep animal trails sections were infested with poodle-dog for miles, over and over...it actually can grow to 20-25' feet tall near streams like Colby canyon and Idle-hour wild areas, not just 10', and looks like a yucca tree forest when really mature..

it does not seem to grow in the shade or northern slopes...but is going to get worse than we currently see on local "burn area" hiking trails.. as it does not need water to thrive and flourish...and is invasive to most other species.

at the bottom of the adventure I washed off with stream sand/mud, rinsed off and 36 hrs later still unaffected.

either lucky, immune or there maybe something to the local mud bath...
Lorenza C.
user 19025271
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 2
Thank you, Dear Mr. Lee Z. and Mr. Rex F. for the warning about the Poodle-Dog-Bush.

I heard from David Borchard also about this poisonous plant, when I went with him in group to the San Gabriel Mountains; we saw a bunch of these plants and flowers. Yes, the flowers are very pretty but kind of stinky, so is like a warning already so people would go away from them.
Today I visited one of my favorites bookstore, but they are closing all their stores, so I went to do my last purchase from them and I found a book of 2010 Records, where they put the most poisonous plant:

Curiously for me, it is the Castor Bean plant!

When I go hiking, I always tent to touch leaves and flowers to observe, smell and feel them.
Is interesting that I have touched many times the Castor bean leaves and its beans as well and never had any type of reaction after that.
So, after I read this record about the Castor Bean as the most poisonous plant, I just could not believe it! Who can explain to me why this lovely plant is so poisonous for some people and not for others like me.
Castor Beans are in the Ballona Wetlands -along Jefferson Blvd-, and also in Baldwin Hills, and in the Franklin Canyon Park area. When I go walking or hiking alone, I go during the day and observe plants and I always observe closely the Castor Bean because they are so beautiful and reminds me my native country. For me is a rewarding to see one of them and touch them: the plant may be greeny or redish-purple, and the flowers are tiny but beautiful.
I love Castor Bean plants, and I will always love them.
Who has a different experience with Castor Bean plant?
Lorenza