8201 Golf Course Road Northwest, Albuquerque, NM
I am canceling the hike. Snow up here on the west mesa is coming down steady. Could turn to rain. It is not the snow (or rain) that bothers me per se, it is the dirt roads getting out there. It can be very difficult getting back up the slopes covered in snow without traction aids. I know from experience.
Be sure to read the text before signing up. It is not an easy hike.
Image From Earlier Hike
• Physical Level: Moderate/Strenuous
• Technical Level: Off trail hiking skills
• Distance: 6-8 miles
• Elevation Gain: 1000 feet approximate
• Return: By 3Pm
Prerequisites: Off trail hiking experience, comfortable with very steep slopes & unstable sandy terrain. There may be some struggle or effort climbing up.
Not a beginners hike.
I can only take two people with me. If someone else will drive a second car, I will increase the number. The approach road is dirt and traversed best with a high clearance vehicle.
The area we will be going to is known to some as the Rio Rancho Badlands. I call it the “Badlands With No Name” because I didn't know it was called anything first time I was there. I like my name better so I use it.
Hike In A Nutshell:
• Assemble at 7AM in the parking lot at the end of the row in front of Starbucks. Look for my blue Ford Escape Hybrid with the eight ball on the antenna. If you want coffee come early so we can leave before 7:10.
• We will drive down north on Golf Course then west on Southern Blvd in Rio Rancho. At Rainbow we will head north on the tar road, continue on the dirt road until we can't go much further.
• We will walk the rim above the Badlands observing the terrian.
• At some point we will make an entry into the Badlands
• We will explore the arroyos and ridges until 2PM, eventually finding a way out
• Goal is to find the area the professional photos were taken.
We can go light, but keep in mind it is still winter so be prepared for inclement weather. You will need food and water for the day. We may have to backtrack a lot. If conditions in the field make it necessary we will retreat.