addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Olympia Hiking and Outdoor Recreation Group Message Board › Beginner Hikes and information for those new to hiking.

Beginner Hikes and information for those new to hiking.

Davin J.
user 10044789
Federal Way, WA
Post #: 37
If you are new to hiking and do not know what you need or if you would like to start hiking but see to many hikes that you do not think you are able to do, let me know & I would be happy to post some beginner hikes. I usually like the more difficult climbs but I have some new friends that are beginners and will be posting beginners hikes.
Like most new hikers you might not want to spend money on items and you are just not sure what you will need. Beginner hikes can usually be done with regular clothing and sneakers. All you need is the desire to get out and enjoy. Like me, there are plenty of other hikers that have extra gear to lend so you do not have to skip a hike because you do not have the gear. Be bold and ask.
Most of the people in this group are members of other hiking meetup groups. This too is important to new hikers. You really need to be a member of other meetup groups to get the beginner hikes. They are few and you need to have a large group selection to find them.
If you are new, want to know more just send me an e-mail or post something here and I will do more to help you get out there. We organizers usually post what we want to do because we do not know what you are wanting to do or what you are looking for. Give us some input so that you can get what you are looking for out of the groups. As you meet more hikers you will become more comfortable and enjoy it a lot more.
I hope to see you out there and to hear from you.
A former member
Post #: 1
HI,
I'm new to hiking, over weight and not exactly fit !!
So, I for one would love to see some beginning hikes on the calendar. 5 miles
Less with little gain would be about my speed. Anyone else interested in a short
Slow pace hike?
A former member
Post #: 42
I'm interested in some beginner's hiking!
A former member
Post #: 13
I have some hikes planned but will sure try to schedule some easier ones too. I enjoy even the easy hikes - some of my own family will only go on such hikes! Fortunately, because easier hikes tend to have less elevation gain, they aren't as affected by snow and can be enjoyed year-round.
Davin J.
user 10044789
Federal Way, WA
Post #: 41
I will do my best to get a few beginner hikes out there. I am glad that you posted a reply. I have had many people express an interest but few actually attend.
There are many nice places to hike and it requires some travel. I am on many of the hiking meetup groups and I think that your best bet is to join them all. We hike all over and to get a better chance of being in a beginner hike, you need to spread out into all the groups. I try to post in all groups when I can.
If you go on one of my beginner hikes, we will keep a slower pace and you never have to worry about falling behind. Make sure you join one if you see it. I'll hope to have one in 2 or 3 weeks.
Davin

HI,
I'm new to hiking, over weight and not exactly fit !!
So, I for one would love to see some beginning hikes on the calendar. 5 miles
Less with little gain would be about my speed. Anyone else interested in a short
Slow pace hike?

Jane B.
user 12014127
Olympia, WA
Marty, you expressed my thoughts exactly. These should be referred to as Easy hikes, not Beginner hikes. As you said, not everyone who wants to do these hikes is a beginner. I have been hiking for many years, so am not a beginner. At one time I had worked up to the medium level hikes (12 mi, mod. gain), but now do not have the time or availability to train myself for those. I don't need to go slow or have no elevation, but prefer no more than 1000-1500 gain, and about 6 miles. BTW, I really enjoyed the couple of hikes I went on last summer that you led. Hope to do some more hikes soon, as soon as my schedule allows.
Jane
A former member
Hi, you mentioned other hiking groups. Do you have information on these groups?
Deb
user 12375221
Tacoma, WA
Post #: 4
I agree with Jane. Not all of us are beginners, but I will second her 6-7 or sometimes 8 miles hikes with less than 2000 foot elevation gain. And call them something besides beginners hikes. Although have some beginners hikes as well for those just getting started or needing to work up to more moderate hikes. The speed the hike is taken at is more important to me than the actual distance. If a hike is to be run then it should be marked so, and if a more moderate speed is to be undertaken then mark that. Right now I am even worried about the moderate speed hikes, because I don't know whether they will actually be walked moderately or at a much faster pace! I hike weekly or walk up to 9 miles easy, but at a moderate pace. Steady wins the race for me.
Davin J.
user 10044789
Federal Way, WA
Post #: 42
The problem is that a lot of beginners are looking for something for a beginner. When I posted "easy hikes" i had beginners ask if it was something a beginner could do. I got tired of having to send replies so I started calling them beginner hikes. Those of you that are not beginners should see them as what they are, an easy hike, and not worry about the name. If you are interested in the hike, go on it. If it is to easy for you, skip it. I am just trying to get some beginners up and out. Also, many new people do not know much about what they need on a hike. I discuss this with them on a hike, if they like, so that they will know what is important and what can wait to be bought.
I have been doing a little rehabilitation and so I post some easier things. If it is interesting I do, if I get requests, I try to do them.
I've had some over weight people want to get out and hike. They may or may not be able to do a 3 mile hike and often are intimidated when they see something more. I state them as beginner and slow pace so they too can get out and enjoy and not have to worry about being left behind. THat is the main concern with newer hikers. They do not want to slow the pace or be left behind and not having the experience do not know what to expect.
So, if it is going to be an easy hike, I call it beginner. If it is easier but distance or some elevation gain over shorted distance I say intermediate and it goes on from there.
Davin
Carol M.
user 11474705
Olympia, WA
Post #: 19
Hey Davin, Thanks for all the time and effort you put into planning and executing these hikes. It's nice that you are trying to accomodate different levels of hikers. Most people don't do that, they just post what they want to do.