addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Olympia Hiking and Outdoor Recreation Group Message Board › Beginner Hikes and information for those new to hiking.

Beginner Hikes and information for those new to hiking.

Deb
user 12375221
Tacoma, WA
Post #: 5
Yes, thank Davin.

Diane, there are lots of different meetup hiking groups. They are all over the Puget Sound. Just search through the meetups and you will find them.
A former member
Post #: 14
Regarding hiking speed and level, etc... When I'm on a hike people often have various speeds. The group spreads itself out with faster hikers up front, others in the middle, & others at the rear, so that the group is kind of like a long continuous line.

At other times, the group even agrees either at the trailhead or in the middle of the hike to split into a "fast" group and "slower" group. Everyone catches up with each other at an agreed upon point. So in those cases, the group sort of "self organizes" to match whatever people want to do.

Still, on some hikes, it may be more important for everyone to stay together. So on those hikes it's more important to know beforehand what the expectations are - and I think the organizers do a pretty good job at that.

It's true that terms such as "beginner", "easy", etc mean different things to different people. I think as long as organizers try to be descriptive about a hike and participants ask whatever questions they need beforehand, we should be OK. After all of that, if someone finds themselves on a hike that they are finding too fast, difficult, etc, I will, as an organizer, make sure they are not left behind, no one gets lots, and everyone is safe.
Andy
user 3285389
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 81
Hey folks,

I wanted to share information that Crystal Mcdicken had posted in what was the old "ideas" section that changed to "suggestiongs a while back"

Since there seems to be an interest in hikes for beginners, I just thought I would throw out some trail ideas. All of them are open year-round and are marked 1 out of 5 for difficulty.

-Leadbetter Point State Park: Dune Forest Loop
-Willapa National Wildlife Refuge: Bear River
-Butte Creek Sitka Spruce Grove
-Rainbow Falls State Park
-Lake Sylvia State Park
-Chehalis River Sloughs
-Johns River State Wildlife Area
-Damon Point State Park
-Copalis River Spit
-McLane Creek
-Mima Mounds
-Harstine Island State Park
-Twanoh State Park
-Mary E. Theler Wetlands Nature Preserve
-Penrose Point State Park
-Guillemot Cove
-Hansville Greenway
-Spider Lake
-Staircase Rapids
-Elk Lakes
-Ranger Hole
-Murhut Falls
-Dosewallips State Park
-Fallsview Canyon
-Gibbs Lake
-Anderson Lake
-South Indian Island
-Clallam Bay Spit
-Marymere Falls
-South Fork Hoh River-Big Flat
-Sams River
-Irely Lake
-Kalaloch-Browns Point
-Hole-In-The-Wall
-Quillayute River Slough
A former member
Post #: 1
I'm a "beginning again" hiker. I loved hiking as a child/teenager/young adult. Sadly, got away from it too many years and now find I'm out of shape and need to work up again to an enjoyable pace and climb. As my age has hindered my desire for those wonderful challenging hikes thus far planned this year, I am looking for someone interested in taking it a little slower and easier. I am, without a doubt, at the very beginning, maybe even needing training wheels. I hope I'm not deceiving myself into thinking I can get back to the energetic days of my youth, but I hope to some day take the hike up a mountain (well, a small mountain) without becoming short of air. I am not a beginner at enjoying the great outdoors and loving nature. I can think of no better place to be than out on a trail in the woods. Is there any interest in a beginning hike this year?
A former member
Post #: 7
I would love to see some easy hikes posted... 6 -10 miles, with not much elevation gain, and close to Olympia. And I'm not a morning person, so the hikes that are posted with early start times are not ones I'm going to show up for, 10:00 or later works best for me.
Cat
user 158641822
Olympia, WA
Post #: 1
Hi! I am the beginner hike, and would like some training beginner hiking. Also, I have a car but can't drive on the freeway. I would love to get out there to enjoy nature and happy to contribute to the gas.
Cat
user 158641822
Olympia, WA
Post #: 2
Can you old so list the gears so that I can be more prepared. Thanks!