addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Olympia Hiking and Outdoor Recreation Group Message Board › Bridge across Skokomish again

Bridge across Skokomish again

Marty M.
user 10020869
Olympia, WA
Post #: 17
The Staircase Rapids hike (along the Skokomish River) was a loop hike until the bridge over the river was destroyed. Now, there's a new bridge! I believe it was finished just recently. FYI for those who were not aware. Our 3/3 hike has pictures of it.
Jon E
user 6246057
Olympia, WA
Post #: 2
The Ranger at Staircase told me that bridge cost taxpayers two million dollars. The main section had to be flown in with a huge Chinook helicopter which costs thousands of dollars an hour to fly. So, by all means, enjoy it! It is a very nice bridge.

What bothers me is not the bridge itself but the decision of Olympic and other National Parks to spend most of their limited resources on the front country. The NPS has determined they can make more money filling car campgrounds and attracting day visitors and families. Meanwhile, the backcountry continues to deteriorate. The deterioration of Olympic Park over the last thirty years is striking. I'm glad I have excellent backcountry skills because they are more needed now than ever. So many foot bridges have been swept away and never replaced and so many alpine meadows hide the trails, under thick vegetation, that once crisscrossed them. Olympic Park only employs one small trail crew which means most trail maintenance is limited to the highest use trails and near the trailheads.

Back in the eighties Mt Rainier National Park employed almost thirty seasonal backcountry rangers. Nowadays that number is two! You are much more likely to see a bear while hiking at Mt Rainier than you are to see a Ranger.

So it is a spectacular bridge but I wish the park could have used some of those funds to do some much needed work in the backcountry.