align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Olympia Hiking and Outdoor Recreation Group Message Board › What fitness level do you need to be to participate in this group?

What fitness level do you need to be to participate in this group?

A former member
Post #: 1
I've been dying to get out and meet some other hikers in the area. I was born and raised in Alaska and was always outdoors, but since moving to WA in 2005 I've gotten round and out of shape. I'm very self-conscious of it and don't want to join a hike I can't handle. Are there any other hikers on here that are in less than stellar shape?

Last weekend we did a 10 mile hike in the Bald Hills with a 1000' gain in elevation during the first half... but I was definitely winded. Any advice about what difficulty level I should be looking at?
Marty M.
user 10020869
Olympia, WA
Post #: 7
Bonnie, our hikes vary by how long they are, terrain & surroundings, and by their difficulty level. Hikes range from walks around Capitol lake to hikes up to Mailbox Peak, and everything in between. As hikers, we have different fitness levels, and different people like different kinds of hikes. Some of us hike with small children, others bring pets, others don't bring guests or pets at all.

Sometimes people of various ages & fitness levels attend the same hike. On the trail, such parties may split into groups - those who want to take it easier & those who want to do otherwise.

If a hike is especially difficult, the organizer will say so in advance. So your best bet is to attend those hikes you think you'll enjoy based on the organizer's information, knowing that ultimately, you can go at your own pace.
Marty
Jason W
user 7458510
Olympia, WA
Post #: 16
Bonnie, that is a great question. The last thing you want to do is be discouraged to get back into hiking. You really can go at your own pace. The main thing for you is to know your own limitations. While hiking, the group usually does somewhat break into smaller groups depending on everyone’s paces. Out and back hikes (compared to loop hikes) would be better at first because if you were slower, you would meet back with the rest of the group when they are on the way back. You can consider driving separately so you can go at your own pace and turn around when you would like. Also. please contact the organizer for the hike and let them know you may be a little slow. The organizer should be able to let you know how strenuous it is.