Weekend Hikers...Plus Message Board › Full moon snow shoe trip.

Full moon snow shoe trip.

A former member
Post #: 5
For walking, you need hiking boots or a good pair of winter boots. Snow shoes and Yak Trax for traction over snow and/or ice. A couple of stores in Estes Park rent snow shoes and Yak Trax are about $20. Hiking poles or ski poles. At least a litre of water for drinking. Clothing should be the next big item since we will be out in the dark, the temperature will be colder. Bring several layers of clothing. A balaklava or other head covering is necessary. I forgot, bring gaitors for the boots. Good pair of gloves for the hands. A head lamp will come very handy.

Food, well a sandwich or whatever you would like t eat. I am thinking of bringing a small thermos with some hot cider or chocolate as well as water.

Is this helpful?
Liz
user 6941817
Denver, CO
Post #: 1
That's very helpful. I just joined this group, and am in for this!
A former member
Post #: 3
Yes, thanks. That's extremely helpful. Will the sporting goods store know what a gaitor is? Being from the South, it's definitely not something you wear!!
A former member
Post #: 6
I have an extra pair of gaitors so don't worry about that. Not the same as alligators. Do you have any other questions because now is the time to get them out there. By the way, this is a nighttime walk so headlights are better than flashlights. Using your hands to hold walking poles makes holding a flashlight a little tricky.
A former member
Post #: 4
I think I've got it. In the next few days I'll try to get everything so if I have more questions, I can get more information from you. This has been very helpful. Thank you! I am looking forward to this. And thanks for agreeing to make it beginner-friendly.
Liz
user 6941817
Denver, CO
Post #: 2
So what date works for everyone? Should we go on a Saturday evening?

liz
A former member
Post #: 7
Saturday evening. I had not thought of a starting time but the thought just occured to me that perhaps we could have a group dinner then do the hike. What do people think of that?
A former member
Post #: 34
So what trail do you have in mind? Is it actually IN Rocky Mountain National Park or outside it where dogs can join us? I was also speculating about the conditions. Yesterday I hiked just a few miles outside the park at Dunraven trail (something like 8,000 feet I think) and it was all mud and slush. So I'm not certain if we'll actually be able to squeeze in the one last snowshoe trip I was hoping for, but we should have fun either way. I also just asked Jan if we can make it an official event and announce it to the group so that everyone knows they are invited. Dinner sounds good. If we met around 6 we could try to eat and get on the trail soon enough to see the sunset too. What do you think?

Thanks!!
Karlene
A former member
Post #: 8
The trail is Deer Mountain inside the park. I have been on this before and it gives a great panoramic view of the park and town. I agree about dinner and then starting the hike. Sounds good.
A former member
Post #: 9
Ok, here's the plan:

Saturday meet at Nicky's Restaurant. It is on US highway 34. That highway leads to the Trail Ridge Road entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park. Meet time is 5:30 to 6:00. We can dine there. Then we can head to the Park. Carpooling is encouraged since there is a fee to get into the Park if you don't have a park pass. Then drive to the trailhead which is about 15 minutes.
The hike is 6 miles round trip. I talked with someone at the Park headquarters and as far as she knows, the first part of the hike might be dry but as you ascend you will need snow shoes. This hike is not difficult. Once we get to the top, we can rest and chat. Bring a camera in case the skies offer opportunities for photos. We should be back down about 11:00 or midnight.