Bay Area Ridge Trail & More Message Board › Hiking Shoes

Hiking Shoes

A former member
Post #: 3
Hello,

Can anyone recommend hiking shoes for me? I am a recreational hiker (3-5 miles), mostly walking at a good pace. I am fit but sometimes have my toddler in a back carrier. Someone said I should get a high top boot (which seems heavy for me). I usually just wear a pair of sneakers but want something better. Are Merrell's good? I'd appreciate any recommendations. Thanks!
pink
Pink_1
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 2
I went to REI. Tried on all the shoes and the best ones for me were Asolo. Then I went online and found them 70 bucks cheaper. I use sneakers for stuff like Lake Merced, Lands End, Ocean Beach, city stuff and hiking boots for trails. I like good ankle support so high top boots are good for me. The people at REI are a great resource for putting the right shoes on the right feet.
Smiles,
Pink
A former member
Post #: 1
I bought an inexpensive pair of LL Bean Mountain Hikers for $50+ many years ago and they have held up well and offer great support. They're very solidly built. A friend just bought a pair of mid-rise Hi-Tek Altitudes for about $80. One of the store employees recommended the shoe for a"first time" mid-cut hiking boot that's not real expensive, but is well made. Mid and high tops are good if one has weak ankles or if you're doing a lot of backpacking, technical hiking, steep single track trails, etc.

Remember, though, wear your usual hiking socks when you buy hiking boots. Sometimes the socks can be a little thicker than regular cottons socks.

Sneakers or trail running shoes are fine on dry trails and rolling hills, especially in the summer.

Hope this helps.
A former member
Post #: 65
Yes, REI is a great place to buy - you can return used shoes at ANY time. They have this seriously insane policy - I've talked to people who actually returned shoes after more than a year! The advantage of hiking shoes/boots is that they are stiff and therefore are better for irregular surfaces. Hiking shoes are less comfortable for a long walk on pavement, but more comfortable for a long walk on bumpy trails.

I have both Merrell and Keen and they are fabulous. Other people also recommend Vasque. HiTec is probably not as good as these brands. Buy shoes at REI - it's one item where it really makes sense to purchase from them.
Steve T
user 6376564
Moraga, CA
Post #: 14
Hi, I wear my NEW BALANCE 479 "All Terrain" shoes with arch supports and Spenco Polysorb insoles everyday and when I am trail walking 15-20 miles, backpacking, and climbing. Works perfect for me. See for yourself. Best, Steve, Moraga, steven_thaw@yahoo.com