addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Bay Area Ridge Trail & More Message Board › National Geographic Topo! Software

National Geographic Topo! Software

David
user 2840589
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 20
Does anyone have National Geographic Topo! Software, and how do you like it? The last mapping software I used was Delorme TopoUSA 2006 and I found it very cumbersome to navigate and to draw routes and markers on the map, and the map's screen resolution was mediocre. Do you find NG's software relatively easy to navigate, to create route maps, and to print clear maps? Are the maps easy to read on the screen? I won't be using it for GPS stuff since I don't have one.

I have both Windows and Mac computers so I'm not limited if one platform works better than the other.

Thanks!
David
Eric H.
user 7994813
Sunnyvale, CA
Post #: 89
I have used TOPO however I don't think it is very good. I thought the interface was clunky and not many POI in the maps as well as accurate trail features. Also they were not routeable on my GPS at the time (They may have changed though) However, it was faster then a lot of programs and the 3D trail view was very cool (lots of other programs have that now also). In terms of scale TOPO had some really detailed scale 1:24000 which was fantastic becuase a lot of other mapping programs lack this but in terms of display resolution I was not impressed. As to the print quality I don't know I never printed them. Most often from what I remember it was just like they scanned in the quads that is all. (They may have made it more crisp since I used it though).

Now I use Google maps Topo interface and google earth to plan routes or look at terrian. Also I can crowd source info into my trip and use generated trails and GPS coor. to look at other peoples maps and hikes. Because I have a GPS I also use the mapping software on that to plot routes and generate travel times distance and elevation gains.

Also if I need a quad I will just buy it from the USGS for the route or the location I am looking at hiking this way I have a map that is waterproof and durable.

Just my two cents.
Eric