Mount Mansfield is is a hike that many of us are looking forwards to:
It is a magnificent mountain that can be accessed from several points and by various degrees of difficulty. We have chosen the 'Sunset Trail to Chin' from the Underhill (south) side of the mountain - although listed as 'difficult' it is in most sections both an easy and intermediate trail - but still very demanding in its middle section with a couple of spots were we will have to clamber over rock formations - it is uphill for 3 hours. - Half way up the mountain we will come out of the forest and hike in open terrain with great vistas all the way to the top (where we will have a 30 min. lunch break) and then descend the mountain for 2 hours.
Note: Not to worry if anyone doesn't make it all the way to the top (and that goes for me as well) - it's happening there all the time - the main thing is that we have been out in nature and at least attempted to do our best while enjoying the exercise.
After the hike we will drive (via the scenic road over 'Smuggler's Notch') into the picturesque village of Stowe for some sight-seeing and shopping - and then have dinner/drinks at 'Gracie's Restaurant'.
Hiking boots/shoes are mandatory - hiking poles recommended.
To bring along: lunch and plenty of water - a change of clothing may also be helpful after the hike.
IMPORTANT: A Passport (or US Visa) is definitely necessary to cross the US/Canada border.
Average border wait time (shoulder season): Saturday 12 min.
It is also recommended that you print out and take along a copy of this announcement.
My mobile phone number is: [masked]
Organizer fee: $6
Car pooling: $35/rider - payable to driver at destination
Underhill State Park fee: US$6 - payable at the Ranger Station
Restaurant (dinner): US$26 (C$28) - payable to organizer in cash only when arriving at the destination (Ranger Hut) - see details on "Agenda" below.
7:30 am - depart Montreal
10:00 am - arrive at Underhill State Park (Ranger Station)
10:15 am - starting up the mountain
3:15 pm - assemble in front of Ranger Station
3:30 pm - drive to Stowe, VT - (via scenic road over 'Smuggler's Notch')
4:00 pm - arrive in Stowe for sight-seeing and shopping - or optional visit to the well-known 'Trapp Family Lodge'
5:30 pm - dinner/drinks at 'Gracie's Restaurant', 18 Edson Hill Rd, Stowe (Tel:[masked]) - http://www.gracies.com - seeing that we are a large group the restaurant will only accommodate us at the following pre-set menu: Price US$ 26.00 (C$28) per person, food, tax and service all included - one bill for the whole group which will be charged to the organizer's credit card, therefore this amount will be collected in cash from each participant upon arrival at the Ranger Hut (drinks/wine will be extra and can be paid individually at the restaurant):
- Chowder or Soup or House Salad
- Fish&Chips or Gnocchi or Pasta Primavera or Mushroom Risotto
for menu details see above website.
Guidelines - important and mandatory:
To make things easier for the organizers as well as for all participants, the following guidelines will apply for everyone when signing up for a hike:
General: Only sign up if you are reasonably certain that you will be able to attend, i.e. don’t sign up with the intent that you will be able to cancel in case something else comes up that catches your attention – cancellations should only be used for emergency purposes (family – work – health).
1) Do NOT sign up without leaving pertinent comments - (after signing in on the RSVP section, you will need to scroll down to the end of the page to do so - particularly respecting your means of transportation) - otherwise your name will be automatically removed by the system at the end of the day from the list of participants - and we don't want this to happen.
2) Please be specific and crisp with your RSVP comments.
3) If you can offer rides to others, please mention it, e.g.
"I have room for .... in my car - picking up at (Metro) at (time)". - As you receive and agree to requests for a ride, you must keep updating your RSVP accordingly, e.g.
"I have Peter & Mary riding with me - I have room for 1 more in my car - my car is now full", etc.
"My mobile phone number is ......"
4) If you need a ride, take the following steps - as it is your responsibility to secure the needed transportation:
a - you must first indicate "I will need a ride" (to reserve your space in the group)
b - send an e-mail request to a driver who is offering rides (click on driver's RSVP name and in their profile find the "Send e-mail" key).
c - When you have finalized your riding arrangements, you are requested to again update your RSVP accordingly, e.g. "I have a ride with .....", etc.
5) By signing onto this outing, it is assumed that you will participate in all the scheduled activities for this event – (unless optional alternatives are specifically mentioned in the description of the event).
6) No Shows - Anyone not showing up (without prior cancellation) will be permanently removed from the membership registration.
7) Do NOT use the comments section for personal communications between participating member regarding ride requests – use direct e-mail only for such purposes – however you must indicate your final driving arrangements in the comments section (as above mentioned).
Thank you for your kind cooperation.
Activity Waiver...When you are signing up for this activity...you accept the Waiver as follows "I, Meetup member, fully understand that outdoor activities carry with them a certain amount of risk. I acknowledge and accept all risks for injury or damage which I or a minor in my care might suffer during any group outing activity. I hereby release the Montreal Hiking & Health Meetup group and the activity organizer/s from all responsibility for any injury to myself or minor(s) in my care and release the said GROUP and organizer/s from any and all claims". Thank You
Driving directions to from Montreal to Underhill State Park (VT)
from Metro Station Lionel-Groulx - 165 km (2:30 hrs)
1. Head south on Avenue Atwater - 290 m
2. Turn right to stay on Avenue Atwater - 850 m
3. Merge onto Autoroute 15 S/Autoroute 20 E via the ramp to Autoroute 10/Pont Champlain Bridge/Sherbrooke - 6.8 km
4. Continue onto Autoroute 10 E - 16.0 km
5. Take exit 22 to merge onto Autoroute de la Vallée-des-Forts/Autoroute 35 S toward Autoroute 89/Saint-Luc/Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu - 19.4 km
6. Continue onto Chemin des Patriotes E/QC-133 S - 39.5 km
Entering United States (Vermont)
7. Continue onto I-89 - 26.2 km
8. Exit onto St Albans State Hwy - 550 m
9. Turn left onto VT-104 S/Fairfax Rd - 28.9 km
10. Turn right onto VT-15 W - 15.4 km
11. Slight left onto Park St - 650 m
12. Turn left onto River Rd - 3.7 km
13. Continue onto Pleasant Valley Rd - 1.6 km
14. Turn right onto Mountain Rd - 5.0 km
Arrive at Underhill State Park (Ranger Station)
Driving directions from Underhill State Park to Stowe (Vt):
- 36 km (40 min.)
1. Head west on Mountain Rd toward Pleasant Valley Rd - 600 m
2. Turn right onto Pleasant Valley Rd – 7.5 km
3. Turn right onto Westman Rd – 640 m
4. Take the 2nd right onto Andrews Rd – 800 m
5. Take the 1st left onto Andrews Rd/Iron Gate Rd
Continue to follow Iron Gate Rd – 4 km
6. Turn right onto Stebbins Rd – 1.1 km
7. Turn left onto Burnor Rd – 138 m
8. Turn right onto VT-108 S – 21.4 km
Driving directions from Stowe to Gracie's Restaurant:
Take VT-108 N - 2.6 km - turn right onto Edson Hill Rd - location will be on the right.