We will start at the South Trail which climbs, at times steeply, through pretty woods with lots of interesting boulders - and then descend via the North Trail - see http://www.hikenewengland.com/Pisgah040605.html
After the hike - at 5:30 pm we will have our group dinner at Gil's Bar & Grill at the Willough Vale Inn (owned by a Montrealer)
Optional: For those wanting to stay over for extra hiking or kayaking, etc - reasonable accommodations are available
Hiking boots/shoes are mandatory - hiking poles recommended.
To bring along: lunch foods and water (I will have 8 L in my car, enough for all extra needs) - a bathing suit and a change of clothing will also be very helpful and comfortable, particularly for after the hike and during dinner .
IMPORTANT: A Passport (or US Visa) is definitely necessary to cross the US/Canada border.
It is also recommended that you print out and take along a copy of this announcement.
My mobile phone number is: [masked]
Organizer fee: $6
Car pooling: $30 (payable to driver at destination)
No local area fees - we should nevertheless be prepared for a possible parking fee (just in case ?)
Guidelines - important and mandatory:
To make things easier for the organizers as well as for all participants, the following guidelines will apply for everyone when signing up for a hike:
1) Do NOT sign up without leaving pertinent comments - (right underneath the Yes/No option where you are asked to "Add a comment"). Otherwise your name will be automatically removed in due course by the system from the list of participants - and we don't want this to happen.
2) Please be specific and crisp with your RSVP comments.
3) If you can offer rides to others, please mention it, e.g.
"I have room for .... in my car - picking up at (Metro) at (time)". - As you receive and agree to requests for a ride, you must keep updating your RSVP accordingly, e.g.
"I have Peter & Mary riding with me - I have room for 1 more in my car - my car is now full", etc. - "My mobile phone number is ......"
4) If you need a ride, take the following steps:
a - you must first indicate "I will need a ride" (to reserve your space in the group)
b - send an e-mail request to a driver who is offering rides (click on driver's RSVP name and in their profile find the "Send e-mail" key).
c - When you have finalized your riding arrangements, you are requested to again update your RSVP accordingly, e.g. "I have a ride with .....", etc.
5) Drivers need to keep the organizer's mobile phone # on hand (for contact in case of emergency, need for directions, etc)
6) By signing onto this outing, it is assumed that you will participate in all the scheduled activities for this event.
7) If you cannot participate in a specific segment of the outing you must indicate such in your RSVP, e.g. "I will not participate in the dinner portion of the outing" or similar such (hopefully this would not frequently be the case). This is important so that the various hosts can work efficiently with regard to our reservation – we in turn need to respect their time and dedication devoted to our event.
Thank you for your kind cooperation.
suggested departing time from Montreal 8 am
Driving Directions from Montreal to Willow Vale Inn, VT - 189 km (2 hrs)