addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The NYC Hindi Meetup Group Message Board › Hindi Resources...

Hindi Resources...

A former member
Post #: 81
Last updated 4/26/07.

This discussion thread will list resources to learn Hindi.

It will be permanently pinned to the top of the message list. I intend to constantly update this message as new information becomes available. If you know of good private tutors or Hindi classes in the city, please email me or just add to the thread. After I verify the information I will make it a part of this message.

Classes In The City:

There are classes at the Indian Consulate and also at the Institute of Indian Culture
http://www.bhavanus.c...­

Private Tutors:

Useful Books:

Language Software:
http://www.byki.com/f...­ (reviews are welcome, as I don't know anything about it.)
Daisy
Deji
New York, NY
Post #: 14
The Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan (27th St. and Seventh Ave.) has Saturday classes in hindi and I beleive they still have several levels--up to and including a high-school-level hindi class. That is to say , Indian hindi high school level. The classes are taught by Dr. Jayaraman, who is a well-known pandit and sanskrit scholar and who has run the Bhavan for many years. That class was a good old-fashioned lecture and reading class. One would want to check with them to see what classes and schedules are offered. I believe thay still offer a class at the Indian consulate on East 64th.

Columbia also offers hindi classes. They may be a good deal more expensive.

Daisy
EddieN
user 3740480
New York, NY
Post #: 12
I did a search on Yahoo! Answers and saw this thread:

"Learning Hindi (from english)?"

http://answers.yahoo....­

The Foreign Service Institute courses I hear are pretty good, and since they are in the public domain, they are also free to reproduce and distribute. Unfortunately the site that was referenced in that Yahoo! Answers post only has the "Text" for Hindi, and the audio portion of the Hindi course has not yet been converted to MP3 and posted at the site. This is one to keep an eye on. The site that has the FSI courses is at http://www.fsi-langua...­.

As for the Indian Consulate in New York, I have tried going through their site and I couldn't find anything related to learning Hindi there, but maybe I am missing something?
EddieN
user 3740480
New York, NY
Post #: 13
Oh, and I also checked out the HindiExperts site. They charge $15 for a 30-minute online instruction session. I think it would be more cost-effective to buy the Rosetta Stone Hindi edition than to go that route, since that's a little steep, especially for those of us who are on fixed incomes (or are perpetually broke :))
EddieN
user 3740480
New York, NY
Post #: 15
Just came across this site:

MultiLingual Books: http://www.multilingu...­

Has plenty of links to free audio courses, etc. Will have to go into each one in detail and report back to the group.
Lee
user 3053297
New York, NY
Post #: 53
Namaste doston!
I have been using the Teach Yourself (TY) Beginner's Hindi and TY Hindi Script texts. They are very good. (Please note, TY also offers a TY "regular"Hindi, but the Beginner's course is actually better). The script book is about $12, and the TY Beg. Hindi course comes with a book and two CD's, and I think you can get it for $15 - 20 if you get it on amazon. I like them.
My two ruppees :)
EddieN
user 3740480
New York, NY
Post #: 16
Guy, three quick questions:

1. Of the two books you described, which book is better for a rank beginner (such as myself) to get into?

2. How useful have the CDs been for you?

3. Have you (or anyone else) used the Rosetta Stone Hindi course?

Thanks.

PS: Shouldn't it be "my two paise"? :)
A former member
Post #: 3
Hi Anand and All

I like to start a online hindi classes volunteerly.

Please advice how I start it.

Regards
Sandeep
A former member
Post #: 2
smileregarding online hindi class - sounds wonderful!! I was studying hindi via emails with a friend a couple of years ago, and it was very helpful. I would tell him 5 words I wanted to learn (or learn how to use), he would send the translations/synonyms/antonyms and make a setence using each of the 5 words.
Then I would try to make my own sentence with each of the 5 words (or whichever I chose from the list of synonyms/antonyms), experimenting with grammatical possibilities. THen he would correct mistakes in my sentences. Then onto the next 5.
If there's anyone out there willing to help out trying that method, it could as easily be done like that with IM too - please let me know! My own level is early advanced, could perhaps create an email group for people of the same level.
Thanks,
Cybele
Mireille
GlobalTastes
New York, NY
Post #: 48
Anand,

The Indian consulate gives classes. I think they begin a new session twice a year.