Homespun is a Davis, CA based, inclusive, cooperative homeschooling community. Our members include new and long-time homeschoolers from a variety of backgrounds, belief systems and homeschooling methodologies.
Membership requirements for all members:
1. Agree to list their information (including full name, full address, phone number and partner/spouse’s full name) in our online directory database, which is viewable and searchable by members only.
2. Pay $5 annual dues (this maintains the Meetup website)
3. Organize/host a minimum of one event for the Homespun community at large each school year
4. Attend a minimum of one event organized/hosted by other Homespun Members each school year
5. Attend a minimum of one “all member events” each year
6. All Members adhere to Posting Guidelines, Event Etiquette and Conflict Resolution Guidelines
Homespun members share a commitment to sustaining an active and supportive homeschooling group. We offer support, encouragement, friendship, and a sense of community through the following:
a) in-person meetings organized by members: events, classes, park days, shared experiences, ...
b) an active Meet-up/online group for sharing resources, organizing events, accessing files and links, asking questions, ...
c) a commitment to respectful communication.
We are open to all actively homeschooling families in Yolo, Solano, and Sacramento counties though our activities are primarily within the city of Davis. We ask that new and current members support the community through ongoing and regular participation in events and activities. The group is open to families that have at least one homeschooling child who is age four or older. Families with younger children are welcome to attend our park days to meet homeschoolers and get advice for the years ahead. Homespun was started in 2003.
The Fine Print
1. All posts must be respectful in nature, and all posters must identify themselves. Messages regarding problems or concerns should seek resolution with an eye toward consensus building. Since we are an inclusive group, posts that may be politically or religiously divisive will not be permitted.
2. All members must organize, attend, and help with activities or events for the Homespun community at large with a minimum contribution of one event planned and offered to the whole group, and two other events attended, each year (one all group event and one member generated event/class). Our volunteer moderators, who share administrative duties for this group, review the member list semiannually, respectfully asking members thought to be inactive how they are participating. Moderators will ask any member confirmed to be inactive via this query to unsubscribe. Families who would like to become active again are welcome to rejoin. Temporary exceptions are made as needed on an individual basis. Please talk with a moderator about your particular situation if you feel you need a temporary hiatus from participation requirements.
3. New Member Mentors and the Member Moderator will be available to new members to help with getting to know the community and with planning events.
How do I join?
Prospective members will be invited to attend at least two of our weekly park meetings prior to joining Homespun. Our moderators and family mentors are available to answer questions or concerns. If you determine after attending several initial meetings and reviewing the requirements that Homespun is a good fit for your family, please let the moderator know that you would like to join the group.
178 Self-aware presence
305 DrumCircle and Dance Enthusiasts
748 Video Game Developers