Georgetown GOLDWING Honda Riders Message Board › Front Tire Air Pressure

Front Tire Air Pressure

Falcon
FalconLead
Round Rock, TX
Post #: 929
I have been having problems with my front tire loosing pressure. Soapy water confirmed it was coming out along the tire wheel rim. A tire removal, cleanup of tire bead and wheel, reassembly slowed it, but it came back. I had CTPS do the job again, this time they found and removed aluminum corrosion on the inside of the front wheel. Now for a week it has stayed up to normal pressure. They said that any moisture in filling air would cause aluminum corrosion inside of an aluminum wheel. I checked my air compressor at home and it did have water in the tank. Now I will empty it each time before I use it.

Thought maybe someone would like to know.

Falcon
Steven R.
steven_rand
Austin, TX
Post #: 4
Thanks Falcon I'll check mine now 4Winds

Mark K.
user 9269817
Georgetown, TX
Post #: 154
So does putting crap like tire seal or self balancing beads. (Al) Aluminum combined with (NaCl) salt or alkaloids is highly reactive. Aluminum in contact with steel is also highly reactive to corrosion through a process of electrolysis. That's why you should not marinate or use salts with aluminum cooking pans. In just a few hours, you can have corrosion. You can put filters on your compressor or a drain kit. The air storage tank types are notorious for collecting condensation so do not keep them stored while charged for long periods.
Mark K.
user 9269817
Georgetown, TX
Post #: 155
Never use steel screws with aluminum!
A former member
Post #: 51
I have the same issue. CTPS repaired, but it's still losing 2 lbs per week. I don't know if I buy the moisture idea. I never had any leakage until I changed to the sport bike tire on the trike, and never had any leak issues on any of the other three GW's I've owned. I think that mother Honda would address this and recommend and use nitrogen if moisture was a problem. Just my humble opinion smile

BTW...My 2008 low mileage, highly maintained Hannigan Trike is for sale. Asking $27,500.

Happy 4th y'all!
Mark K.
user 9269817
Georgetown, TX
Post #: 156
It is not uncommon for a brand-new to leak so you have to check it routinely until it seats properly.
A former member
Post #: 52
My front tire was mounted a year and a half ago.